Light Gray smoke

12 valve owner

12valveowner
Reaction score
Hi, I have an automatic 96 12 valve with a few mods like #10 fuel plate, four inch exhaust, k/n intake, cfm intake manifold and boost elbow fitting. The problem is when it is warmed up after 20 minutes or so of driving when I slow down to thirty miles per hour and floor it usually black smoke bellows out of the exhaust but lately it has been light gray. I have no EGT gauge yet but I have one on the way. Truck runs awesome with over 170,000 miles and never has had any issues mechanicaly. My truck has never done this Im not sure if I need to make a couple of adjustments since I added The fuel plate.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bellowing black smoke is an indication of way overfueled (which you would expect with a modified pump), gray smoke means that your A/F ratio is more in line with what it should be. Not sure why you are getting less fuel or more air than you were before.

MMeier

Reaction score
Sounds pretty much normal for a #10 plate. Bumping the timing up to 15.5-16* should help more... get your gauges before you hurt something expensive !!:eek: