Lift pump

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally think that a good mechanical pump will outperform a facet e-pump. I'd like to do a side by side comparison, but on my dad's truck with facet e-pump, the pressure drops quite a bit from idle to wot. My '93s mech pump stays within a 2 psi range at all times, measured after the filter.

Remember - pressure change = timing variation

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally think that a good mechanical pump will outperform a facet e-pump. I'd like to do a side by side comparison, but on my dad's truck with facet e-pump, the pressure drops quite a bit from idle to wot. My '93s mech pump stays within a 2 psi range at all times, measured after the filter.

Remember - pressure change = timing variation

The IP doesn't need pressure anyway though.It just can't have a vacuum right?

Turn the key to run and let the pump prime the system without the need for cranking........how can you outperform this?:D

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the facet, for the money a Holley or mr gasket 105p performs much better. Im sorry but anything is better than the mech lift pump. Priming is such a breeze with electric

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at it now seems possible, but I want to make sure can I simply change the lift pump from underneath or is there a special access I need like taking something from the fender I just want to make sure before I take this thing apart I am good to get it done

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you have some low hanging accessories or other stuff, taking it out from underneath is a breeze.

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok pump changed, leaking now... from both soft line, and hard.... didn't change soft line... was trying to get by temporarily... I know, I know.. ugh tightened the hard line down pretty well but didn't use two wrenches.. could these be the issues or duo you think I didn't tighten the actual pump enough... I thought I did... thoughts?

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so pretty concerned/ frustrated now.. got new pump in started up nice idles nice! Got under to check for leaks, leaking out of both lines hard, and soft... pumping throttle feels strong, smooth as ever.. so I didn't change The soft line.. I know, I know.... but guy at napa didn't seem too confident about the 'carberater' line he was showing me. Line was pretty bad... on the hard line I don't know what could be the deal... I tightened it down stout but didn't have a big wrench..used pliers but not the same... come to think of it to get the screws started with the gasket on I had screwed the bolts in to the gasket a little bit like a quarter inch... would this compromise the gasket when I got it down to where it met the motor and continue to tighten it what it there for rip the gasket by the threads? Any thoughts anybody ever experienced this?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Carburetor" fuel line should work at least for a while. You only need like a foot and a half.

If you don't have a wrench to tighten up the fuel line why are you surprised it's leaking? I guess I'm missing something. I think it's just a 5/8" for the hard line.

As far as the gasket, no that shouldn't be a problem, I do that sometimes myself. If the gasket is bad you'll be leaking oil from the block.

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see when I move it with my fingers that is dripping from high it looks like it is getting to both the lines where the twist in the soft touches the hard could it be leaking that much? The Hardline is wet halfway up this is where the line they cut off was attached is there some kind of gasket or fitting here?

You must be registered for see images attach

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the hard line between the pump and the filter it seems wet up to this point what is this could it be leaking from here