Left rear window inoperable

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Window is fixed!

OK...at least there was some progress today. I had fixed the frayed and broken wires coming from the door jamb into the door. When I pushed on the switches, I heard a muted "clunk" like it wanted to work, but it didn't. Then a friend of mine who has several MBZ stopped by and suggested I clean the contacts inside the console and door window switches. I didn't know that these switches could be disassembled and cleaned...they can be. A little 1500 grit paper worked the contacts over and voila...the window works like new. So Meta, before you disassemble half your cars to make your windows work, try this.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat,

You are too modest. I have an idea that might work to make the alarm system stable. I have the two pairs of unconnected wires that used to be connected to the back speakers. The speakers measure 4 ohms. What if I soldered a 4 ohm resistor across each pair of the disconnected wires that somehow interact with the alarm system? That would simulate a load similar to the speakers. Whadya think? :confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
monte-
I honestly have no clue on how Mr Terry bypasses the alarm setup. You may have figured out the secret as far as sodering the wires. Seriously tho, drop by his place tuesday but call me first before you go. I know the right bribe to get you to the front of the line.;Sweet

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...I talked with the MBZ master mechanic. He says there is "no way" the radio is hooked into the alarm system or the console fader control. He says it's coincidence that the alarm started acting up when I changed the radio wiring. He suggested disconnecting the hood switch...if no random alarms happen, replace the switch. So, all this "integrated" stuff is hooey for my model.

pafixitman

Reaction score
towcat said:
monte-
unfortunately with a genius around like Mr. Terry, I am nothing but a parts changer when it comes to MBZ. Fortunately, when it comes to the older stuff, their issues are pretty rare but they are consistent. It also helps that he's been a foreman at Smythe for 18 years...he's trully has "seen it all" :hail
Now here's the funny part....just like here, there's quite a few smythe veterans with the same diesel benz AND IDI combos...cookoo :D

TC,
Is this Terry Neally? :confused: If so, holy crap! That is a blast from the past. Last I heard he went off the deep end or something. Before Auto Nation bought Smythe Euro and before we end of lifed the Coin Dealeship System (my original employer that was aquired by Reynolds & Reynolds) we were the support center for Coin. That man would chew us a new hole -cuss -cuss before 6:00 am his time (we are in MD) many times a week! I am on the variable side, so I had to deal w/ Jeri in the office rather than him.

Meta6981

Reaction score
Full Monte said:
... So Meta, before you disassemble half your cars to make your windows work, try this.
which switched did you clean the ones in the doors or the switches up front to all the windows. or both???

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
TC,
Is this Terry Neally? :confused: If so, holy crap! That is a blast from the past. Last I heard he went off the deep end or something. Before Auto Nation bought Smythe Euro and before we end of lifed the Coin Dealeship System (my original employer that was aquired by Reynolds & Reynolds) we were the support center for Coin. That man would chew us a new hole -cuss -cuss before 6:00 am his time (we are in MD) many times a week! I am on the variable side, so I had to deal w/ Jeri in the office rather than him.
Terry Reiling is his name. he was with smythe for 18 years as a lead foreman and still is on a very good relationship with the new auto nation group. he's a tough SOB to work with, but imho, there is noone more intimate with MBZ outside of him. I sure would not have wanted to have worked under him at Smythe.....stories of his "quiet" ass chewing is ledgendary among many MBZ mechs. I get a call from him to help out at his shop every now and then when he is buried past his eyeballs in Benzs or a IDI shows up for work.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meta6981 said:
which switched did you clean the ones in the doors or the switches up front to all the windows. or both???

You have to clean both the console switch and the door switch contacts.
Current flows through both, no matter which switch is depressed.

Meta6981

Reaction score
Alright will try that tomorrow. Get to drop the tranny and replace the flywheel of a 65 mustang tomorrow, Also tomorrow morning i am going to get my w126 smogged and show some nonbelivers biodiesel is good. or get prooven wrong but i will know how clean biodiesel actually is.

Meta6981

Reaction score
ehh never got around to it spent the weekend pulling the flywheel from a 65 mustang with no shop equip so i never got around to it . It would be nice to have back windows but as long as the front two work i am fine.