Leaky leaky,no likely!!

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did my return kit and now today while on the freeway got a wiff of coolant and thought maybe another car but when I pulled into the driveway I found a small puddle of water/coolant under the truck.I immediately popped the hood and was looking around,didn't find the leak but did see some water splashed in the engine bay.Turned the truck on and found a dripping water pump just behind the pulley.the water looked brownish but in the radiator it's green, what gives.?

Is this a a fix I can take care of myself or is it REALLY involved?Also what other parts should be replaced with the wp and how much does something like this cost?At least now I get to put some Fleet Charge in it.:rolleyes:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Water pump is messy and tedious, but not tough. If you need the fan clutch removal wrench, I have one (left hand threads!). You may as well replace the thermostat at the same time, get one from Ford or IH, they are the right configuration and temp.

A new WP is about $32- $60 on RockAuto.com, you will probably find the same prices locally. I am running an AC Delco pump.

The only important detail is the two top bolts on the WP. If you compare them to the other bolts, you will find that they are about 1/4" shorter. That is because they can interfere with the timing gears if they are any longer. Use thread sealant on those two also, they have oil behind them. All the rest are blind holes.

Take your time cleaning the gasket surface on the engine after removing the old WP, it is only a 1/8 piece of steel plate, a stupid design by IH, but seems to work.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a water pump replacement thread in tech section. Check that out if you are comfortable with it.

Having brown goo come out means it's pump time and not a small fix will take care of it, just a replacement pump.

I'd suggest a new thermostat as well since your in the area if it has not been done or don't know when.

Also two petcocks on the block, one on each side, this enables a proper draining of coolant system.

JM2CW

Hope that helps.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the extra wknd work as long as I can handle it.Also used the advanced search and found a few threads but with different opinions.Most threads are old anyway so I rather just ask.Might have to stop by the shop on Friday if your there for that wrench if your there Mike.

I read on another thread some about the tension pulley or idler bearing..
The truck when idling does have a little squeak to it.
Any thoughts on that?

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking a look at my fan clutch there is no sensor or relay to turn it on or off.Ive read to replace along with water pump,any truth.Fan is constantly on

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The fan is mechanical so to speak. No electrical controls at all.

While it's out does make a good time to change the fan clutch.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb ? But without it being connected to the thermostat how does it know when to turn on..? Or is it always on

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PUT A LARGE PIECE OF CARDBOARD BETWEEN THE RADIATOR AND THE FAN BEFORE YOU DO ANY WORK!

x2

I nicked one of the tubes in mine when I did the water pump. Luckily it was cheap to fix.

If you want, AutoZone has a loaner tool program (O'Reilly's too) that you pay for the tool, then use it for...up to three months I BELIEVE, then take it back, they make sure it's all there, and you get all money back. I've used it for a fan clutch removal set, tie rod pullers, wheel hub sockets, and a bunch of other stuff for all of our cars.

Make sure you ONLY use a MOTORCRAFT RT1049 thermostat.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-RT...ie=UTF8&qid=1386603256&sr=8-1&keywords=RT1049

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Depending on what you know about the system, you might want to replace the hoses and belt(s), too. If you have the serpentine belt, it is the one that has the idler that should be watched. Fan clutch is another thing to do while things are apart. I know this stuff adds up, but I really hate to do a job over and over if I can avoid it. Belts, hoses, fan clutch, WP, thermostat, all the same job. Replace them all at once and you have a date on which you can rely for future reference.

I'll be at work on Friday if you want the wrench.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will a bad water pump constantly leak even when not running,or a few minutes after turning off?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can leak running or shut down if the bearing and/or seal is bad, the coolant pressure rises slightly after the engine is shut down due to no coolant circulation.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst part is the installing the fan back on the threaded pump, in my opinion. Sounds backwards, but it's easier to leave the belt till last so you can spin the pump to engage (left- hand) threads.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To put the fan off the water pump I've always use a big cresnet wrench and a 3 lb dead blow hammer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726