Leaking Lift Pump

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Guys, I have a leaking lift pump, It leaks fuel, It is shooting fuel everywhere. How hard is it to change it?

SKimballC

Reaction score
No, draining the oil is not necessary. Its a pretty easy job. One of the bolts is tricky to get started and it helps to pull the vacuum pump so you can see what you're doing down there. Make sure you get the lever on the cam properly or you can have some real problems if you don't. The new pump should have a picture of how it goes in.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
No need to drain the oil, the bolts are 9/16 I believe and the second one from the front is the tricky one, You can get it with a 4" extension too. If it where Me I would take the opportunity to install an electric pump like a holley red.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
So it was the lift pump Bill...:thumbsup:
Zeke has it...Holley RED electric :hail and a big block Chebby block off plate.

If ya choose to just replace the manual pump, it is not that hard .....I could stop by and lend a hand if needed:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on installing the electric. You can't appreciate how good that mod is until you have some kind of fuel related problem.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
Where can I get a holley red from? Does it have to be a Holley Red. How hard is it to change out? Do I have to reroute lines and where do I mount it.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
So, I ran the truck over to a mechanic shop to see if he could see exactly where the fuel was coming from, he put it on the lift and ran it for a while and there was no leak. But when I picked it up and drove it home there was a leak. It seems like it only leaks when you shut it down or if you start out in 2nd and bog the engine. If it was a lift pump or thereabouts wouldn't I be getting lots of black or white smoke and the engine running bad.

I also called to get a quote of fixing the lift pump and they want $250-300 for labor and top of the lift pump. They said this was for bleeding the system.

Thanks
Bill

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it doesn't have to be a Holley Red, but folks have great luck with them. I have some stock lift pumps you can have for the price of shipping if you want one. A Holley Red install doesn't take too long, and is pretty easy to do. I hope to do a tech article on it before the summer is over.

SKimballC

Reaction score
If it was a lift pump or thereabouts wouldn't I be getting lots of black or white smoke and the engine running bad.

Thanks
Bill

Not necessarily. When I bought my truck, I drove it from Utah to TN with an increasingly leaky lift pump and it did fine other than a hard first start in the morning.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
But when I picked it up and drove it home there was a leak. It seems like it only leaks when you shut it down or if you start out in 2nd and bog the engine.

I also called to get a quote of fixing the lift pump and they want $250-300 for labor and top of the lift pump. They said this was for bleeding the system.

Thanks
Bill

engine mount/bolts? ;Really
That is where I would be looking Bill....ya gots my cell :D

DieselChemist

Reaction score
After discussing this with Geo, the leak might be coming from the steel line running up the side of the block. Has anybody replaced this line, if so where did you get it from. Would anybody have a spare to get a measurement off of so I could replace it with a hydraulic line.
Thanks
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle