Leaf spring pack rebuild

smcg89

Reaction score
Hey guys my first post here. Been lurking for a bit but cannot find a good answer anywhere online. Has anyone ever rebuild the leaf spring packs for front dana 60? I'm doing d60 high pinion kingpin swap into my 89 f250. I'm replacing the bushings with energy suspension and thats no problem. I would like to break the leafs apart and put new hardware and paint on them. The leafs had white nylon type pads between the pack and the mounting plates. Can I or should I replace these? are they for noise reduction or to stop from corroding together? Also, what to use for anti squeak pads if anything? fairly new to full size trucks so leaf springs are new to me as are diesels. Got this as a learning project hopefully to be long term daily driver when its done. I guess this is kind of an introduction along with my first questions. Yes I am using the original leafs from the 1 ton not the 250 leafs. Any insight is appreciated. Pics to see where I'm at.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would hop on rockauto and replace everything that is wear item, so much easier while you have the axle out. You are correct they are to prevent the leafs from rusting together and squeaking

smcg89

Reaction score
Ya thats what I'm thinking. Unfortunately rockauto doesn't seem to have that stuff although thats where i found the bushings. I'll try dealing with a local spring shop.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a ton of ??? Ya need to get familiar with when ya do this...battery dead...brb,

shackle length, spring rate, number of leaves, slip materials (just the ends or full length) spring clips,shackle hanger spacing,rsf.
just for starters....
there is a fair amount on here to search for.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mired somewhere in my build thread I did exactly this. I could not find them so I bought a sheet of graphite impregnated nylon from McMaster-Carr and made them for all the spring packs front and rear.

smcg89

Reaction score
Laserjock - did you just put them at the ends? Looks like from factory they had them at each end only about 6" long held in place with a rivet sort of thing. Hard to say for sure for me as mine could be just heavily worn.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh. Yes. I bought those. They were skyjacker brand pads I think at the ends.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made the ones that the center bolt goes through.

smcg89

Reaction score
Thanks! Funny I see that as i just blasted my shackles and blocks along with front shock mounts and some peices off the front axle. As far as i can tell the d60 front doesnt have a center pad. Ill just have to bite the bullet and tear into it I think. Its gonna **** me off to run em the way they are and regret it. What did you paint your leafs with?

smcg89

Reaction score
Clb - the springs are stock 1 ton 2 leaf with 1 small plate leaf on the bottom. I don't know the exact spring rate because they came with the axle. I pulled everything off the donor truck. I have shackles, track bar, track bar mount. nothing was too much different from the d50 i tore out actually, bigger blocks at the rear. All I'm really asking for is what people did with the anti squeak pads foe those who have rebuilt their leaf packs before. As well as the very thin white sheets between the mounting points on the upper plates and the top spring. Aside from that I have everything and it should be nothing but a bolt show.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tractor supply enamel with hardener. I did all my chassis stuff in it. Primer then paint. It’s holding up reasonably well so far. I hit the spots that rub with the plow paint. Again TSC type product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online