Knocking Sound!

Farmer Dill

Reaction score
I have a 85 6.9l. This sound has only happened twice. While going down the high way it'll make this knocking sound but once I start driven at lower speeds it will go away. I'm stumped and would like to know what it is exactly :dunno

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Mine did this a little while ago...it was due to low oil level/ bad cdr and went away after adding 4 qts and a new cdr...what's your oil like? Are you low, or maybe it's due for a change?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
sorta like pcv valve on a gasser. it is located at the back of the intake behind the intake opening. looks like a tuna can.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Easy way is if you're using an abnormally large amount of oil between changes. I was down to half capacity after a month. That is a bit much.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The cdr needs to be changed about every 7 to 10 thousand miles for best performance. When the break down they suck in the motor oil as fuel. Thats where you get higher exhaust temps from sometimes....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your injectors are aged, then change them out! Easiest way to eliminate them as your problem, and pick up some performance at the same time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yup, A slobbering injector on a diesel sounds exactly like a rod knock on a gasser

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite a grand. Salty in the IDI world, but cheap compared to everything else. Stock double B's on the other hand, about a third of that.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Not quite a grand. Salty in the IDI world, but cheap compared to everything else. Stock double B's on the other hand, about a third of that.

Pretty reasonable really, when you consider a set of rebuilt stock Bosch injectors for a German 6 cyl vehicle will generally run about that much. Stanadyne injection parts , we get used to getting off cheap.

Farmer Dill

Reaction score
Ok so I heard the sound again today and I took a look and this is what I found. One of the lines comin off the injection pump is drippin slowly so I think it needs tightened and also I took the oil filler cap off and smoke spewed out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance