7.3 IDI Turbo - Knocking - Rough Idle

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was doing a bit of digging...my lift pump looks pretty old and worn...there’s an oil leak around the pump. Would a failing lift pump cause this sort of problem I described at the begging of this post?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that if it wasn't able to pump enough fuel at an idle, then maybe it could contribute to a rough idle. I don't know how possible that is but I think that it is a possibility.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's the way that I see it. If you want to fix the oil leak, you will have to remove the lift pump. If you do that, you might as well go ahead and replace it unless you know for sure that it hasn't been on there for very many miles.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to be tearing into that and the thermostat..figured there both next to each other.

I ran the truck for 15 minutes today..the coolant out of the ccv might have just been condensation as I’m not steaming through coolant like crazy..but there is a constant haze coming from the ccv. When the truck was warmed up, I took a heat gun and shot at each exhaust port...two of them
We’re colder than the rest..2 registered 170 the rest were around 220..perhaps that means two bad injectors as well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Have you done a compression test yet? If the compression is good then you could be looking at injectors for the temperature differences. Before you throw a couple of injectors in the engine, run a cleaner through your fuel system. Diesel Kleen and Hot Shot's Diesel Xtreme are a couple of good ones. Even ATF although I don't run it in mine just for the red dye that will now be in your fuel until it's burned up. Maybe a good cleaner will be able to clean up the injectors that are making the cylinder run cooler. If you're not losing coolant (not talking about external leaks here) then there can't be steam coming out of your CDR valve. Most likely it wasn't ever steam. These engines naturally have a lot of blow by, which causes there to be a lot of excess crankcase gasses. Those have to go somewhere and the CDR is designed to put them back into the intake to be reburned. There will also be a lot of blow by coming out if when you remove the oil fill cap with the engine running.
If you have to replace injectors, your best benefit will be to replace them as a set. It's also best to replace the injector pump and injectors as a set ($$$$$). That is unless you know for a fact that your pump and/or injectors are fairly low miles and have had a quality rebuild done to them.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea when these were replaced before. I was hoping to take it on this summer when I was ready..not when the truck broke! Haha

But yeah I have 256k on the truck and really no clue about the motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online