Knocking motor????

fordboy324

Reaction score
Ok guys. Once I start my truck it makes like a knock and click noise combined (if you can imagine that). Is it injector knock or what? It runs fine and doesnt do anything weird. Burns a little oil but what 213,000 mile diesel doesnt. I dont know how to describe this noise but its not a knock I know what that sounds like...ha. HELP! I dont want to drive it if its going to kill it to keep driving it. My 5,000 mile oil change is almost due...Ill do that later this week or next week and see if it helps with a little lucas in there.
Thanks!

rip van sparky

Reaction score
what IS that noise?

Hi, welcome to the world of diesel engine noise paranoia. I have basically the same thing, had it since I put the used 6.9 in it 40,000 miles ago, engine still runs great. My friends that own and work on diesels tell me I'm crazycookoo but I think I'm sane. I was thinking loose wrist pin or piston slap, :confused: . Good luck, John

sassyrel

Reaction score
while running--crack the injector lines loose one at a time--see if the knock goes away---

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly, you need to eliminate the possibility of it being a dropped or hanging valve, beyond that it's probably an injector or exhaust leak. When does it do it? Any drop in oil pressure?