Knocking at higher end rpm ?

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just finished all the mods and upgrades on my truck. I did a shake down and it is knocking after 30 min of driving. The knocking only happens right before the transmission shifts. It gets louder and louder and disappears after the shift.

The mods:
Turned up the IP 1 flat. (pump was advanced by ear. As throttle/rpm goes up, the advance just crosses the
line and starts the knocking? could lower inlet psi cause this?)

Oil temp sensor on one of the oil passage port. (could be blocking up the oil to the valves?)

R&d flexplate (could be imbalanced/misaligned?)

flushed trans fluid. filled the TC with 2 quarts before install.
Derale deep trans pan.
2 quarts of stop leak 20 quarts of transmaxx

theres no leaks except that one bolt on the pan that is stripped. Ill replace it with a longer screw later.
Ive tried looking up similar problems but I only see PSD problems with low fuel pressure. Anyone have any idea? It didnt knock when it was barely warm and hammering the throttle blowing smoke.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also filled up the tank with (25 gal) fresh diesel with "5-20%" biomass. and 1 gallon of diesel kleen. before that it didnt seem to knock. the engine might have still been cold.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can get a video of it in the morning. it is in rhythm with the cylinders firing. I put about 100 bucks worth of sound dampeners around the engine bay so it sounds a little muffled. Like plastic hitting a metal. It sounds like that broken flexplate I had but only happens on higher rpm and under load. if i do it in neutral, it does nothing.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully its just too advanced and that turning the ip 1 flat is causing the problem. Ill do that first since its the easiest to diagnose.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving with the cold advance still on will do this in my truck. I'd check your timing if you weren't running with the cold advance on.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the cold advance on a switch for when im running wmo. I think ill dump 5 gallons of wmo to see if its timing related.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now that you mentioned it, I do have some exhaust valve chuffing. With some constant ticking. The oil was around 180f but I didn't pay that much attention mattching rpms with pressure of the oil. What do I do if it's too high? It's been like this since I got it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the oil cooler and unstick the pressure regulator. If it’s that high at temp even at 3000 rpms that’s really high for an idi. If the pressure regulator isn’t stuck then your oil squirters are clogged.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil squirters are clogged.

gonna have to remove the oil pan for that huh. I have seen people put diesel inside their crankcase to clean out their gas engine. they idle the engine for 10 min or so. as dumb as it sounds, i want to try it. It's the only method I could think of that I have time for.
What is the proper oil pressure for this engine?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online