key won't start the truck...fender relay or ignition?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive me for not searching. I have no internet at home or cell service so I can only post when i'm in town for a bit using my phone.

Turn the key and all the happy things work, gauges, glow plugs, radio, yada yada. But no starter. No click, no nada.

Jump it off the fender relay/solenoid with it in neutral and she starts up perfect.

What gives? Bad fender thing? Or something more complicated? It's just beginning to get to be a pain everytimeI stop i gotta jump it, especially in the rain. :(

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, will a 5spd manual tranny from a 2wd 1990 7.3 dually work in my ol girl :) I'd sure love that one more gear....

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jasper - That's the only way i can start the truck everytime I turn it off...That mean it's probably just that solenoid and not something crazy

edit: :eek: I may have to scoop this up then. Having that one more gear would make my life so much happier.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So to make sure I'm following you, you're jumping the large lugs? Or to to small terminal?

If it's the latter, your solenoid is fine. Problem is in the ignition switch or cylinder.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 large lugs. the large to small dont do ****

McGIDI

Reaction score
this just happened to me as well... i wired in a button start as well..... i was tired of chasing wires and i needed the truck to run so i ran the wires to the button and on either side of the large lugs on the fender relay.... i was told it was my cylinder though there is a rod that hits the switch from what i hear that wears out and just gets tired...

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the relay. Large lugs are power in and power out. The small lug is the trigger wire.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The switch is down near the floor on the steering column. It is easy to replace and cheap to buy ($10 or less). It is also the most common problem location for non starts (actually, non cranks).

The rod and cylinder parts sometimes do wear out, but can take a considerable amount of time to verify (you have to take off the steering wheel and disassemble the cylinder). The starter solenoid can go bad, but the engine will not start with a jump at the fender if it has gone bad. Those are also fairly easy to replace, but you have to get under the truck to do so.