KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Block is a ******. There is a void sticker over my spec sticker on the valve cover, which had originally made me think that it was rebuilt. Hard to say why it has that, the bores are 4.000”

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Are you sure about that sticker? It seems like that's what was left when you pulled the original sticker off of the valve cover.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about that sticker? It seems like that's what was left when you pulled the original sticker off of the valve cover.
Ahhh okay. I seen on Facebook that that means it was rebuilt, but I would believe you before I believe just anyone on Facebook… you used to work on the damn things for a living.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not swearing that it's chiseled in stone, but it seems correct. There was more than one that came into our shop for an engine with the "void" showing. Another thing is that we, and probably a lot of other builders just cleaned those stickers off and painted the valve covers off. I'm not sure why some people put a big emphasis on valve cover stickers. If you turbo your engine, the HP rating is now wrong anyway. If you put a Factory Turbo on your 1986 6.9, and use the valve covers for the Turbo engine, that certainly doesn't mean that you gave a 1994/94 7.3. Too many things can change for those stickers to mean much of anything at all.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I’ll build a headache rack and heavy front bumper for my truck.

I’ve been against them for a while, but I think I might actually put a stack on it, just 3.5” with a flap on top, through the floor of the bed and bolted to the headache rack… anyone with sense will say… damn kids

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you are done with it...on the bumper...could you tell us the method and materials and rough dimensions...I would like to build one for mine...eventually....

Thanks in advance...
Just so you know, this will not be like the Ranch Hand bumper on my Dodge. It will be more like the kind on the Western Stars in the pictures attached. Stick out a bit, diamond plate on top, and angled at the ends under the headlights, with mudflaps. Painted black.

Attachments

• IMG_2308.jpeg
    IMG_2308.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2307.jpeg
    IMG_2307.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2020.jpeg
    IMG_2020.jpeg
    489.9 KB · Views: 8

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that...looks like a good project with a view to protecting the radiator and grill...as well as being able to push things...within reason...outta the way...

Are you going to hide a winch inside of it...? I see a spot for a roller fairlead...

How thick is the main portion of metal going to be..?

My truck is pretty heavy already...gotta put it on a weight program...I would like a good amount of strength...but not make it too porky...

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone with sense will say… damn kids
I am sure the Greatest Generation and their kids said that about us when we put wide tires on our Novas and Mustangs and then had to get air shocks to raise the back for clearance and then deal with screwed up front end alignment...then air fresheners and fuzzy dice and d i n g l e b e r r i e s hanging from the headliner...shag carpet on the dash... chrome 'feet' brake and gas pedals...Hurst shifter grips...chrome tips on the duals...aluminum sidepipe covers...

You get the idea...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure the Greatest Generation and their kids said that about us when we put wide tires on our Novas and Mustangs and then had to get air shocks to raise the back for clearance and then deal with screwed up front end alignment...then air fresheners and fuzzy dice and d i n g l e b e r r i e s hanging from the headliner...shag carpet on the dash... chrome 'feet' brake and gas pedals...Hurst shifter grips...chrome tips on the duals...aluminum sidepipe covers...

You get the idea...
You forgot curb feelers………

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You forgot curb feelers………
I was saving that for the 'hood, thread....I almost put some on when I lived in a city...but never did...and later they were popular on the 'Phat Rides'...you know....big Urban Assault Vehicles...

That reminds me....when big, honkin' 4x4's came into vogue...the State Police started ticketing folks for their bumper height...

There was a Nova that I used to see pretty often going to Work...he put on wide tires...he jacked up the back...he grafted on wider wheel well flares...and eventually had to attach ANOTHER rear bumper to the original one...just below it...

It was a sight...but he had Mags and Meats...skinnies up front...

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember "Blue Dots"?

Cops use to use a pack of cigarete`s for the ride heights.
Could not be any lower.

There were some Mufflers or exhaust that was called "Scavengers.
Side piper`s were called "Lake Pipe`s",

Buddy had a 50 Ford, put blocks under the front end and heated the springs to drop it down. This was around 1961.
3 on the tree, and a "Piston" for the shift knob,
Damn that was a cool car, I wanted one, but my Dad didn`t want any junk sitting in front of his place.
Guess that`s why I have 14 vehicles, 2 tractors, around 9 engines, Transmissions and other parts around here. .... and more stuff than PNP.
Just hope I have at one that will start.....then we are at Wally World, and forgot which vehicle were drove down there in.....:peelout:bail

Thanks Dad.

Goat

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that...looks like a good project with a view to protecting the radiator and grill...as well as being able to push things...within reason...outta the way...

Are you going to hide a winch inside of it...? I see a spot for a roller fairlead...

How thick is the main portion of metal going to be..?

My truck is pretty heavy already...gotta put it on a weight program...I would like a good amount of strength...but not make it too porky...
I’ll probably build it out of 3/16” or 1/4” steel, heavy as hell.

Winch would be cool, undecided so far.

With the mirrors and the CB antenna that the truck has now, and the cab clearance lights… soon to add heavy front bumper and stack and headache rack… maybe shows the ‘style’ of truck I am shooting for… big rig esque

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least I’m not putting 14 wide s i c k y d o p e rims on it, and rubber band tires, teal underglow, and a 6” lift… never understood that…

Underglow can look alright on some trucks, but chicken lights are mire tasteful.

This is just my opinion, no one has to agree. Everyone has their preference on what looks good… I prefer modifications that both look good and more importantly work for what I do. Heavy bumpers for pushing, hitting deer with no worries, etc. Headache rack for putting lumber or screed boards over… big mirrors for visibility.

Stack is pointless really, but ah well. It may well match the redneckness of the truck.

I argue that even things like cab clearance lights and most any other kind of chicken lights aid to be seen, just as important as being able to see, from a safety standpoint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online