Just received my centrifuge in the mail!

8ball

Reaction score
It's just the small 55gph one from PABiodieselsupply, but it's here and I now have to get busy finalizing my plans for the WMO setup. I'm thinking about doing it as follows (I'd love to have some input):

Barrel 1: Upflow filter setup. 55gal with 10 gal "funnel" on top, like has been described on here recently. 100 micron filter bag to catch the big stuff.

feeds into

Barrel 2: mix/settle barrel. 55 gal. WMO and RUG mixed here and checked for proper viscosity. Let settle for min 12 hours. All but the bottom 4 inches or so pumped into...

Barrel 3: centrifuge barrel. 55 gal. WMO/RUG pumped through centrifuge at least 5 "cycles" (one full barrel would go for 5 hours at 55gph). This will also be the storage tank for finished product.

Pumping to be done by modified SBC oil pump, and if that doesn't work, I have a few saginaw PS pumps laying around.

Oil sources will be my best friend's tire/oil/lube shop and the bus shop at the school where I work. I also scored 30+ gallons of diesel/gasoline (mostly gas) mix from when a bus driver fueled up with gas instead of diesel.

Please let me know if you see any glaring flaws/omissions in my plan. Thanks!

Dave

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Sounds like a solid plan. Only comment I have, the SBC pump will be fine powered by a drill or something for transferring from one barrel to the next, but i could never get it to work to power the 'fuge. (I couldn't even get a 1hp motor to turn it when it was full of oil...)

I power my 'fuge with a p/s pump off a 92 VW because it used a remote reservoir and therefore was very easy to put a hose right off the bottom of the barrel. The outlet fitting was made by welding a female pipe swivel to the OE fitting. I regulate the pressure with a ball valve. Some others use a pressure regulator and just have the ball valve as a bypass.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good to me too, the only thing I would change is to put more than 5 passes through your centrifuge. My minimum is usually 8 and if I'm not in a hurry, will let it go for 10+ passes. With that many passes, you'll completely remove the variable of contaminated oil and get a little longer life from your fuel filters, and possibly your injectors too.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my opinion should use kerosene or disl fuel ,rug is ok in temp below say 30 deg ,up to 10% the viscosity of wmo decrease with temp ,may want to heat the wmo to about 110 degree ,should be thin as water ................,if you **** it down to much with rug by the time it sprays out the hot injector not much energy left in the charge ,more fuel less power ///also most wmo is filtered to 20 micron via engine oil filter

wmoguy

Reaction score
sounds nice. but sounds too complicated.

Make yer mix, filter 8 passes or better, run it in the IDI. she'll like it and come back asking for more.

That process worked for me for nearly 70k miles before selling the IDI's. Same process working in my 6.0 (fingers crossed)