Just out of curiosity

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to make used motor oil a fuel? what would you have to do? Seems like it would need some crazy filtering, would it eat injectors and IPs for lunch?

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible, yes. Practical, no.

Big problem is supply...even if you were able to convert it 1:1 into usable fuel, the relatively small amounts we use won't go far.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
It is thicker and needs to be heated, especially in cold weather.

You can get a big supply, but usually you don't really know what's in it. It may be mixed with antifreeze, or oil from a locked up engine.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this a few days ago. I think the best thing to do would be to boil off the water and antifreeze and distill the rest within the temperatures allowed for diesel fuel discarding the left over heavy residue.:dunno

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used Motor Oil

I get Oil from a buddy that works a Dealership.
he gets me the newer car oil change oil.
It is 5 W30 which is thin.
I have heard of guys dumping there diesel oil and running it .
Personaly I think thats crazy too much soot.
I run 5 gal to a tank no problem.
I have ran straight before but it smokes too much.
I filter it through a 1 micron filter.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of us just dump it in and don't even filter it. :dunno I remember when Scott came to the 2004 IDI Weekend. He made it from Iowa on streight motor oil, and was buring it all weekend.
You must be registered for see images

Other fun pics in that album. He had a big tank in the bed. I don't think he heated it though. The reason he is in his engine bay has something to do with a fuel filter. :dunno LOL

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That just dosent seem right but is interesting. I wonder if your using 5 gallons of oil per tank or say 10 gallons a follup with both tanks at the current price here at 2.69 Its a savings of 26.90 a fillup, if its wothit in the long run, Like 84TD asked does it wear more on the pump and injectors?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I filter wvo and it runs perfect, You can pour a bit of engine oil for every so of wvo and that will keep the bacteria (and flies) away. I would not run it 100% unless it was an emergency.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
what i still don't understand is if oil coming in from the CDR causes #7 and #8 to get hot and possible cook the heads why would you burn oil?:confused:

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you figure a fuel filter is 10 micron??
I filter oil through a 1 micron filter.
So I would think there would only be a Good thing.
I dont have to worry about lubrication in the diesel fuel.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 70% WMO 30% dino in warm temps 50/50 when cooler just filter it & add to tank can use gear oil as 10-15% of total do understand that no mater how much you filter it still looks black & there will still be some contaminants that do not filter out, such as acids which might be heated enough to vaper off but I dont intend to bother just save enough by running WMO to pay for a new motor.