Just a warning about wmo & colder weather

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a week ago I replaced my lift pump as part of my problem of hard starting in the mornings. Soon after I figured out I was running on my wmo tank and returning the fuel to my regular front tank. I'm not sure what percentage of wmo I had but pretty sure it was about 20%.
The pickup was starting in the mornings but harder then I'm used to. After a couple of tanks of regular diesel fuel the starting is getting better.(takes a long time to "run" wmo out:eek:, a little goes a long ways)
BTW I did check the GP's, one was bad & a lift pump, the morning temps have been low to middle 20's F.
I think the best way to run this stuff in the winter is start/stop on regular diesel, try to make sure you don't "dirty" your "clean" tank
Anyone who has tried starting wmo on cooler mornings had the truck act like it had air in the system???:dunno Because thats how it was acting, but with clear fuel lines coming off the filter head & the return on the IP I never could see air bubbles:dunno

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
So far the only time my truck has run like there was air in the lines, there really was air in it.

I'm at about 80% blended fuel in my tank and its getting colder, so we'll see how she starts...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matrix37495,
Right on with the air in the lines, and I keep checking to see air bubbles but don't see any.
I've long since gotten rid of the stock fuel lines from the lift pump to the filter head & from the filter head to the IP, so far so good. I'll keep reading the OB just to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Another question I had about the filter head, if the "schrader" valve is bad it would leak fuel outward as well as let air into the filter head???:dunno or could it let air in only???:dunno

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Since it's on the pressure side of the pump it should leak fuel if it's leaking air with the engine off.

I just replaced my supply line last night so i'm hoping that cures m air problem. Clear lines wouldnt do me any good, since my fuel is black... :D

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matrix37495,
Your right on the black fuel, I originally put those lines for hard starting purposes but it does work good to watch how fast or slow regular diesel goes back through the fuel system.
mankypro,
Thats a good reminder, I checked the gp's when this all started but I think I'm gonna check them again.
I'm gonna try my stopwatch and time how long cranking takes to start, just for my FYI.
Thanks again guys.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Supposed to get cold tonight (below freezing). I have my truck plugged in, but the fuel will be cold..... I'll report how it starts...

mtran

I`ll improve my Eng
Reaction score
I have problem on return from injectors to IP,so I got air/vac?
I have to check hard lines?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Truck started good this morning. found out I was only starting on one battery, so that was why it was turning over slow....now i could almost drive powered by the starter... :D

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matrix37495,
I'm glad to hear that it starts good those temps, kinda sucks about the batt's, hope that turns out ok. Running on the starter, didn't NASCAR guys do that in a emergency on the track.

mankypro
Thanks again for the reminder about glow plugs, I rechecked the passenger side GP's and the one under the turbo,-cuss was bad. Starts much better now, I'm still going to recheck the drivers side.

mtran
You might have problem with the o-rings on the top of injectors under the fuel return caps. If the injector is wet below that cap, the o-rings might be bad. Heres a picture.
The hard lines, yes make sure you check those, also.

Attachments

• 0311001634.jpg
    0311001634.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 19

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Brad, call me Chris. :D

It was only starting on one batt cause of a loose ground cable. All fixed now. :) Still takes a bit of cranking...time to check the plugs...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris,
Sorry if I missed your first name in the past, hey glad to hear it was just loose cable.
Do you know if anyone has really figured out why wmo causes gp's to burn out quicker? I guess thats a question for anyone.
This last gp in the back under the turbo had been in there for a long time, so I'm not sure if it was age or wmo.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I don't know why (or if) WMO causes plugs to burn out faster. Maybe it burns hotter? Maybe they foul up then over heat?

littleboy

Reaction score
On my brothers 6.5 an black fuel the glow plugs are getting covered with a thick coating of soot making it start hard . We are gonna run water injection to help clean the whole combustion chamber !

mtran

I`ll improve my Eng
Reaction score
mtran
You might have problem with the o-rings on the top of injectors under the fuel return caps.

Sorry on my English,I haven`t have o-rings on the top of injectors,I try to help on air keek problems,but thx anyway.