Jesus Freaks WMO thread!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, as I've mentioned in other threads, my wmo is unscientific and primitive. Some will cry when they read this, others will scoff, some will stare off into blank space and become distracted, but a couple might just have the light come on while the "A-team" theme song starts rolling in the background.....so having been admonished by IDIbronco and Nero, without any further adieu, here's my WMO thread.

So when I first started this more than a year ago I had a 55gal drum of oil that had collected for years that I literally just pumped out through a sock, yes, a sock into a 5gal bucket and poured it into my tank. Well the electric fuel pump didn't like that, so I went back to the mechanical fuel pump and all was happy.
I emptied that drum and then sourced 300gals from an old school junkyard. That was an eclectic mix of stuff and I continued with the socks, yes......socks.
Did I clogg fuel filters? Yes
Did an injection pump go out? Yes
Have I sat on side if the road diagnosing why my truck started bucking and died? You bet!
But I figured it out for the most part.
My official set up right now is a 300gal tank that is full of oil that I got from a big equipment company, so it's hydraulic fluid, oil, diesel, gear oil, and the like. There shouldn't be any antifreeze, but who knows. After I put about 270 gallons of that in I put like 20gals of gas in there. My tank is outside in the hot Florida sun heating and cooling and settling.
The hand pump I have in my tank is set so the pipe is 8 or 10ins from the bottom. When I fuel up the oil is pumped through a filter that's supposed to be rated at 30 microns and then into my truck. I finally got this tank set up just over a month ago and haven't had a clogged fuel filter since, though I do keep a couple filters and a gallon of diesel in my tool box just in case.
I do plan on getting a little more scientific with it, but I'm just a poor white guy.
My truck does smoke at idle, I don't know if it's the WMO or my IP going bad. And before anyone jumps on the "you see, you're killing your IP on WMO" I'd point out, the IP that went out originally and this one are old, used IPs that came on junkyard motors so nothing is certain there.
I don't think wmo is for the feint of heart, it's a learning curve but a learning curve that is an affront to the establishment! I'm no expert but I'll be glad to share my experience! So now you know...... and knowing is half the battle, keep on truckin guys!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried a blend of WMO and used ATF years ago. (roughly 40% diesel) and the truck loved it. More low end torque and I didn't notice any more smoke than usual. A bit cranky on cold start but that was it.

Once I got the moose pump, I figured it best to not risk the warranty and stopped experimenting. And yes, the old pump still worked before getting it rebuilt as a moose.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're probably getting smoke because the thicker oil is throwing your timing off. The thicker viscosity of the oil made about 10 degrees difference in my truck compared to diesel.
"My wife drove mine today, and someone waited by the truck outside the store to ask if she wanted to sell it. Unfortunately for him, we only buy trucks here."

I have occasionally people look and ask me if I want to sell and some just sort of look at my truck and say nice truck but with a weird look as if to say, "if you left your keys in the truck, I would steal it."

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
No expert on wmo but some thoughts -

1) I would run a large water separator off your pump on your 300 gallon tank. Do you have a way to stir/mix it so it does not separate in the tank?
2) See if you can find a jiffy lube style oil change place to source oil as they only do oil changes and some limited transmission work. So likely less coolant, water, brake fluid and such in their waste oil. If possible suck off the top half or 2/3 of their tank to leave water, coolant, metal shavings, heavier oils, and such for their regular disposal company to haul off.
3) Run a second back up water separator on your truck. Catch as much water, coolant, and ???? as possible.
4) Timing is everything on these trucks, many play it down, say time by “ear” but you can’t hear 8.5* at 2000rpm. (Just a really loud Diesel engine and lot of noise from a large fan running.) As chillman said check the timing, maybe your mixture of oils or your truck causes earlier or later firing. Maybe after your IP replacement it is just out of time and potentially causing the smoke. But one or more injectors could be the cause. Time to invest in a timing device ($200.) if you do not have one and a injector pop tester ($100) with all the money you save running wmo. Check timing, injector spray, and injector leaking. But the smoke could be something in your wmo mixture that smokes when burnt. However you now can diagnose your fuel system and set the timing.
5) I would start using if not diesel additives. I add 30% more diesel treatment than recommended to your tank on each fill up. This will help lubricate the IP and injectors slowing down the wear. Help protect the IP and injectors from corrosion. But likely you already do.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're probably getting smoke because the thicker oil is throwing your timing off. The thicker viscosity of the oil made about 10 degrees difference in my truck compared to diesel.
I plan on experimenting with timing. On another thread they recommended only a degree or 2, but it is supposed to make a difference. I'll report what happens when I do.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And yes more filtration on the truck would be good as most WMO guys do but you have to refur to the " poor white guy" statement, it's one step at a time with me. It's coming though. And those jiffy lube places are a little guarded as far as coming off their oil, I have a really large regional junkyard about a mile from my house I'm going to start tapping on my next collection. I'd love a solid source of transmission fluid but the only tranny shop in town is...... well....... problematic at best.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"My wife drove mine today, and someone waited by the truck outside the store to ask if she wanted to sell it. Unfortunately for him, we only buy trucks here."

I have occasionally people look and ask me if I want to sell and some just sort of look at my truck and say nice truck but with a weird look as if to say, "if you left your keys in the truck, I would steal it."
I actually leave the keys in my truck and the door unlocked, I figure that if they can figure out how to crank it up and get it to move they deserve a few laps around the parking lot.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Burned many years worth of wmo. My process was a big storage/settling tank....with the pickup tube a foot off of the bottom. Pumped from the settling tank with no filter into 110 transfer tank and mixed 50/50 with diesel. No problem getting in mixed with transfer tank being in back of pickup. pumped from transfer tank through 2 micron filter into pickup front tank. Always had one tank with clean straight diesel for starting. Had aftermarket filter head on pickup and would alternate 2 micron filter in the summer, and a 6 micron filter in the winter. Had problems with diesel fuel waxing up the 2 micron when it got really cold. All with mechanical pump on the truck. Saw a lot of messing around with different electric pumps on local pickups than just didnt work long term.

Had very few filter issues with this setup.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They say the Holly Red is supposed to do WMO, but the more I've thought about it I think I'm sticking with the mechanical pump. And what Black Dawg discribed for filtration is pretty much what ill be doing the next time I fill up my big tank except I won't do 50/50 with diesel. It's warm enough in north west Florida to do 90%wmo, so I'm rolling with it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an innovation of mine to monitor for air and such. There's no filter in this and the holes are drilled a bit bigger. The check valve went out in my mechanical fuel pump one time and I could tell because my sight glass was empty. I was also able to watch the air intrusion when my fuel selector valve went bad. Kinda handy.

Attachments

• IMG_20220524_071829.jpg
    IMG_20220524_071829.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 37

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan on experimenting with timing. On another thread they recommended only a degree or 2, but it is supposed to make a difference. I'll report what happens when I do.

They might have been mixing it more to thin it? When I did that particular trip I believe I had 5/10 gallons of gas in a 100 gallon tank topped off with oil. It's been a while though. I would imagine if you had it thinned out a lot more it wouldn't make as much of a difference.

Of course, I may have had wear in that IP that the thicker oil was masking and that could have been my particular issue. I know that IP was on the truck when I bought it and of unknown age.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an innovation of mine to monitor for air and such. There's no filter in this and the holes are drilled a bit bigger. The check valve went out in my mechanical fuel pump one time and I could tell because my sight glass was empty. I was also able to watch the air intrusion when my fuel selector valve went bad. Kinda handy.
I like those old glass tube filters.

Black dawg

Reaction score
To add to my post, with that process, filter intervals on the truck were only to put the 6 micron on in the winter and then back to 2 micron when temperatures were back up. Never once in did I have a plugged or restricted filter on the pickup from WMO.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Just a warning, but those filters over the years have proven to be problematic at best....with gasoline anyway.

And since I havent seen it mentioned in this thread or any other recent WMO thread, nothing about burning WMO is free. Big savings if done correctly or big headache and lots of ruined parts.....even engines if done incorrectly. Pump and injector wear goes way up, used spares are really nice to have, and if you cant do pump and injector replacements yourself, AVOID WMO.