Jesus Freaks WMO thread!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a warning, but those filters over the years have proven to be problematic at best....with gasoline anyway.

And since I havent seen it mentioned in this thread or any other recent WMO thread, nothing about burning WMO is free. Big savings if done correctly or big headache and lots of ruined parts.....even engines if done incorrectly. Pump and injector wear goes way up, used spares are really nice to have, and if you cant do pump and injector replacements yourself, AVOID WMO.
I'm with Black Dawg on this! I actually said in the opening post of this thread WMO is NOT for the feint of heart! If you call yourself a "perfectionist" or "OCD" you probably ought not to mess with it. If you're not willing to end up on side of the road because of whatever you probably want to keep your distance. I want to insert a funny list of people that shouldn't do WMO, kinda Jeff Foxworthy style, of people who shouldn't do WMO, but I'm resisting. (Cubey shouldn't do WMO, he'd have to replace his black water tank with a settling tank) WMO is for the tinkerer, the contrary, the guy that bucks the system. It's kinda like my small scale farming, full of weird philosophy and experimenting.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about using a centrifuge to clean up the oil.
I was reading a week or so back doing some searching, they use them on equipment and big rigs to help clean up the engine oil to cut down on wear.

Here is a Google search I did.

Goat
It comes around to that philosophy stuff, goat. In some of the threads about this stuff, guys swear that if you're not centerfugeing the oil you are the worst person ever. In other threads the guys make it like, "I just pour whatever in the tank from whatever place and I ain't had no problems in 135yrs, my pappy did it like that with his mules and they'd plow 300acres a day!" Im one to stay in the middle, with the settling and decent filtering. But hey, if you want to buy me a centerfuge I'll use it, or if I saw one cheap on Craigslist I'd scoop it up. But other than the obvious essentials my next investment will be a timing device for a diesel.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have seen many different setups personally, including a centrifuge......the oil is never clean. The better you filter it the longer stuff on the truck lasts, but at some point you are just messing with it too much unless you are just doing it for fun or just to be contrary...

The best way I found to get the oil the cleanest, was just washing it with water, but then you have all this contaminated water to deal with.

The guys who claim no issues, just havent done it long enough.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen many different setups personally, including a centrifuge......the oil is never clean. The better you filter it the longer stuff on the truck lasts, but at some point you are just messing with it too much unless you are just doing it for fun or just to be contrary...

The best way I found to get the oil the cleanest, was just washing it with water, but then you have all this contaminated water to deal with.

The guys who claim no issues, just havent done it long enough.
I definitely do it to be contrary! LoL! On some post about WMO a guy said, "if it's clean enough for the fuel cell it's clean enough for the crank case." I guess that was an opposing view, I don't know. If I could get it that clean, my life would be revolutionized!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5) I would start using if not diesel additives. I add 30% more diesel treatment than recommended to your tank on each fill up. This will help lubricate the IP and injectors slowing down the wear. Help protect the IP and injectors from corrosion. But likely you already do.
Putting 50% oil in the tank will have 100x the lubricity of 4oz of power service or whatever. There's no need for extra lubricity. As far as I understand it the issue is filtering to 5 microns or better. Centrifuge even betterest!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting 50% oil in the tank will have 100x the lubricity of 4oz of power service or whatever. There's no need for extra lubricity.
That's my thought, and there's probably all the additives in there somewhere. And I mean, come on, oil is pretty lubricating..... right?

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about using a centrifuge to clean up the oil.
I was reading a week or so back doing some searching, they use them on equipment and big rigs to help clean up the engine oil to cut down on wear.

Here is a Google search I did.

Goat
A centrifuge should definitely be used to clean up the oil. If you have questions let me know. If you want one I can get you one.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I started out not using one. I'm not saying it's necessary, but compared to filters it's cheaper long term and more refined. For me it's the financial and micron rating, a win win in my opinion.

Never-Have-I-Ether
I was wondering how it "penciled out".......Meaning the cost of the centrifuge + electricity vs passive settling + filters.

I am sure there is more I am not thinking about. Put me in the "I wanna play with WMO category" but will not "cause my lovely wife" stops trusting cars as soon as they break down. As if "cars" and "breakdowns" could ever be mutually exclusive.

I regularly see 2 cars happily motoring locally "cause" breakdowns happened to the wife when I was gone. Fixed and sold.......:cry:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, my wife is all about me experimenting on MY truck. She and I prefer hers to just run with no problems. I actually try to keep 2 vehicles for her, a 90 firebird that we're making into K.I.T.T., and an 86 bronco soshe can haul feed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01