I've got some problems guys

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thanks Midnight for explaining it to me ;Sweet.

I dont know if that Dodge has a Cat or not, I just figured if it had one I take it out. And I actually like the dodge, its more comfortable than my truck is. And its cherry, my grandfather is really maticulous with it and has it detailed all the time. The paint is peeling in a couple areas, but its white, so if I ever went to paint it it would be real easy. I would take it off there hands in a heartbeat if they were to offer to sell it to me, but I wont go up to them and ask them if they would sell it to me. More than likely it wont happen, cause my grandfather thinks his stuff is worth 1.5 times what it is actually worth. He though my truck was worth $6000 when he gave it to me, when I wouldnt pay any more than $3000

I will try to resist :D

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin-

So whats the latest on your Turbo problems? Have you ditched the Ford for a Dodge? Lit it on fire and pushed it off a cliff?

Ryan

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Justin-

So whats the latest on your Turbo problems? Have you ditched the Ford for a Dodge? Lit it on fire and pushed it off a cliff?

Ryan

Nope, I havent ditched the ford yet. But my grandparents are really considering selling it for a newer ford powerstroke or Dodge cummins (like 2006 and newer). So its still up in the air as to whether or not I'll end up with the dodge, but I doubt it.

My turbo should be done all I have to do is find some time to drive over to Russ's house and pick it up/install it. Hopefully it will last a couple thousand more miles this time :D.

And all thoughts of lighting my truck on fire and pushing it off a cliff is over, I'll live with it.

I've gotten some Christmas money so far, and that has cut back a major portion of how much it cost me to get a rebuilt cartridge.

My next problem is going to be a new starter, cause I'm thinking mine is going down the crapper. Gear reductions are the better starters right? If so where can I get one and how much does it cost?

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My next problem is going to be a new starter, cause I'm thinking mine is going down the crapper. Gear reductions are the better starters right? If so where can I get one and how much does it cost?

I bought mine from Autozone cause they have the lifetime warrenty. My truck had the old Delco Style direct drive but they didnt have that one in stock so I bought the gear reduction one and I love it, It turns the motor over a ton faster than the old one. I think I paid like 130.00 for mine....Another perk of the gear reduction is that they dont weigh a metric ton.....Nice when installing:D

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin-
Before you go and condemn your starter, make sure your cables and batteries are in good shape. Didn't you recently post that your cables were not doing so well? I just had a little bout of trouble starting my 92, as it's been in the low 20's and high Teens here in Albuquerque lately, and I thought my starter was done for. Turns out, I had on good and one bad battery, and that resulted in all kinds of starting trouble. I put in some 900CCA Interstates and all is well... If your cables are originals, I'd get some nice new ones and some high-output batteries before you go putting a new starter in. It'll be money well spent either way.

Gear reduction is the only way to go for sure. I constantly hear horror stories of junk starters from Autozone/Checker/PepBoys/NAPA, so I'd definitely steer clear of those. I have a place here in NM that specializes in Starters and Alternators- it's an old-school place that still custom winds starters and alternators, and does quality rebuilds. Maybe you have a similar place in Oregon that can re-work or remanufacture your unit. Otherwise, you might call a Ford Dealership just for kicks to see what they want for one.

Ryan

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Never EVER buy a NAPA starter. I have not ONCE bought a starter from them that I haven't had to take back in within 2 weeks.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Justin-
Before you go and condemn your starter, make sure your cables and batteries are in good shape. Didn't you recently post that your cables were not doing so well? I just had a little bout of trouble starting my 92, as it's been in the low 20's and high Teens here in Albuquerque lately, and I thought my starter was done for. Turns out, I had on good and one bad battery, and that resulted in all kinds of starting trouble. I put in some 900CCA Interstates and all is well... If your cables are originals, I'd get some nice new ones and some high-output batteries before you go putting a new starter in. It'll be money well spent either way.

Gear reduction is the only way to go for sure. I constantly hear horror stories of junk starters from Autozone/Checker/PepBoys/NAPA, so I'd definitely steer clear of those. I have a place here in NM that specializes in Starters and Alternators- it's an old-school place that still custom winds starters and alternators, and does quality rebuilds. Maybe you have a similar place in Oregon that can re-work or remanufacture your unit. Otherwise, you might call a Ford Dealership just for kicks to see what they want for one.

Ryan

Yeah I was planning on just making my own set of battery cables. My grandfather did a couple of sets for some of his big rigs, and he says he knows where to get all that stuff/ knows how to do it. My batterys arent the best in the world, I was stupid when I bought them and just told the NAPA folks I needed some for my truck, so now I have a set of 750cca batteries. Hopefully they will last me some time, so as I can save up some money for some better ones. And yeah I suppose your right I shouldnt just jump into buying a new starter, I guess I will see if my battery cables are connected good/ replace my battery cables.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Legend 75 batteries from NAPA are the best we've ever found ANYWHERE hands down. They last years and years over the age limit of most decent batteries, and are worth the extra money.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Get ahold of Wrangler Electronics. I think they are in Portlan Oregon or near there. I bought there cables but eventually changed out the ends for the military style terminals they sell. I also bought the lugs they offer for the positive side cable ends at the batteries. Its so much easier to now just remove a bolt and the batteries are disconnected and safe. No more need to pull the clamp off the battery terminals.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'll have to give those wrangler electronics people a call one of these days and see how much the can make a set for me for. Thanks for that Ican ;Sweet.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Legend 75 batteries from NAPA are the best we've ever found ANYWHERE hands down. They last years and years over the age limit of most decent batteries, and are worth the extra money.

you must have better luck that anyone else I know of, we have nothing but horror stories about legend batteries, Now it is possible they have changed suppliers but 2 to 3 yrs ago they were junk.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
750 CCA isn't great but its not bad either. I think my Interstates are in the 650-750 range...amybe it was 850? Can't remember. They still start the truck well after 4 years of abuse and a lot of starts. Its usually not the starter...it can be but usually its the cables, batteries, starter solenoid or something.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I dont know. My family has used them since before I was born and have never had a single problem with them except for when we wired a pair in reverse of eachother and blew them across the front yard.
Seriously, we've tried almost every other brand of battery and all are junk with these trucks compared to the Legend 75's. Interstate crap, lasted less than a month, Exide junk, Walmart whatever they are, PURE CRAP Die Hard's arent that bad, but very expensive for how long they lasted.
And on another note, 750CCA isnt enough around here. We get 1000CCA batteries.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking the batteries are fine. When I first put them in, my truck turned over faster than ever, and would fire off within the first revolution. It was like that for a good 2 months, turned over real fast. Then one day at school I left for lunch, and it turned over way slower than normal, and it fired off at like the 3rd revolution. It turns over a little slower than that now, and depending on the outside temp, will take anywhere from 3-6 revolutions to fire off (6 for in the 30's*). Maybe I have a connection going bad or something, because sometimes it will almost turn over as fast as it did this last summer when I put on the batteries, then the next time I start it it will turn over just as slow as before. Then sometimes, and its only happened like 3 times to me, it turned over so slow it hardly even started. I would crank it for like 5 seconds, and it would only turn the motor over maybe 5 times, if you can imagine how slow that is Blug.............Blug...................Blug.......................Blug...............................Blug......................vroooooooom, that type of deal. Then the next time I start it it turns over way faster, I dont know what the deal is.