I've been bitten...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...by the new truck bug. I've got it bad right now, especially after driving a new CrewMax Tundra for a few days this week for work...

I just got a new factory grille and taillights and installed them in my F250, and if the weather is nice tomorrow I'm installing all new side trim. Hopefully, that will shake this bug off me and I'll continue to appreciate my old Ford. It's even running right and not leaking at all right now (until I typed that...) so I feel kinda guilty ******* after another truck...

Am I crazy? I worked the numbers so that if I get $10,500 for my truck I could "afford" a new one....

Ryan

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Your not cookoo at all, I'm bitten buy the new (er) truck all the time. Like right now, my headgaskets are in question, and I would really just like to get rid of my rig and get PSD or cummins. But alas I wont do it, I'll just keep the old ford.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just think PAYMENTS for 5 years, that should change your mind. A little labor of my own is easier than payments, i guess i'm just a tight ass....

sootman73

Reaction score
gotta remember that you could buy a turbo for your truck with the money it would take to replace one injector in a psd!

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just think PAYMENTS for 5 years, that should change your mind. A little labor of my own is easier than payments, i guess i'm just a tight ass....
I'm with ya' Gunnie. Unless you can write 90% or more off for business, a $400-$600 a month payment for 60-72 months just doesn't make sense to me.

For anyone who hasn't already done the math, that's $24,000 - $43,000 over a 5 or 6 year loan. Just IMAGINE what you could do to YOUR truck with even half of that money. Even if you PAID someone to do the work you'd end up with a fully rebuilt truck, a turbo, gear splitter, and about anything else you could want on it - and then it would last twice as long as any of the flimsy pieces o' junk that roll off the production lines these days....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yup, payments suck big time.....My truck is costing me $200-250 per month in fuel but I don't care as I don't have to shell out payment dough....At the end of the year I'm still ahead financially over the neighbours all around me with new trucks.... Mine will go places their's won't, haul loads theirs won't and probably will outlast them too in my capable religious maintenance hands:Thumbs Up ....And besides, if I was to get a new truck it would need to be a Dually crewcab 4x4 with a 6.4TT and 6spd manual.....That would be in mortage payment teritory...LOL....To hell with anything that I can't put dings or dents in without crying.:cry:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Yup, payments suck big time.....My truck is costing me $200-250 per month in fuel but I don't care as I don't have to shell out payment dough....At the end of the year I'm still ahead financially over the neighbours all around me with new trucks.... Mine will go places their's won't, haul loads theirs won't and probably will outlast them too in my capable religious maintenance hands:Thumbs Up ....And besides, if I was to get a new truck it would need to be a Dually crewcab 4x4 with a 6.4TT and 6spd manual.....That would be in mortage payment teritory...LOL....To hell with anything that I can't put dings or dents in without crying.:cry:

x2 on most of that, esp the bold. i almost took out the passenger bed side a few months ago wheelin ;Sweet

and i scratched it all up and i dont care. i wouldnt dare scratched a new truck up.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that a newer truck is nice but if you're like me it would become an old truck rather quick. It's not in my nature to baby a truck. That's what cars are for.

As far as money goes at this rate a $600 a month payment would be a wash in dollars with what I'm spending to maintain/upgrade this truck to date. Probably cheaper to tell you the truth.

However I don't believe the maintenance of a newer truck would be any less ultimately. Two trains of thought here. New truck with warranty trade out every few years and take big hits in depreciation. Old truck free and clear just need to get all the bugs worked out. That has been trying this time around but it will eventually happen if I can hold onto my sanity for a while longer. A newer truck, out of warranty with payments would be a financial nightmare unless you get lucky.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You could still buy a nice older house out in the county around here for less than the price of a new truck. No way I'd be spending that kind of money.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I work as a Shop Foreman at a Toyota dealership, and can get a killer deal on a new Tundra. Any payment would be more than what I have now, and the insurance would kill me I'm sure. I just got the bug from driving around in that nice new rattle-free smooth riding truck for a week. I know it'd pull my rockcrawler with ease, and it would surely stop the load better than the old brakes on my old Ford.

Maintenance is a non-issue for me, as I do all my own work anyhow. I don't really want to consider a new computer controlled diesel from the big 3, as I will have no way to do my own work. The advantage of the old mechanical IDI is that I can still work on it. With that in mind, I would only purchase a new Toyota, so I'll have access to the equipment to do my own service.

I'm sticking with the Ford for now, but the day for a new truck is coming. I don't know what I'll do when the time comes, since I've got so much into my IDI, and I know it's one of the nicest ones out there. I don't want to take a huge hit selling it, and it needs to go to someone who will appreciate it...

Ryan

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Getting anyone to pay $10.5k for an IDI is going to be tough. No matter how nice it is. Heck I paid $6500 for mine, three years ago. 85Kmiles, like new condition.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I often think about the big C swap or a PSD swap but when I think about the cost of the parts and sensors I soon get a grip on reality....Having that PSD in my garage is tempting but really my old IDI just works too damn good to take it out. I could get a C for $500 if I wanted one but I doubt it's worth the work for the little HP I would gain. My IDI will haul a 17ft car trailer with a fullsize long box truck on it and that's all I need out of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online