IT'S RUNNING

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone sees MURPHY let me know, HIS damn law played with us all weekend.

After getting it all put together, wired up air out of the lines more -cuss -cuss -cuss commenced still no runny. Finally said the hell with it and swapped pumps and shazam it fired right up.

Not sure why it would run in the truck the motor can out of but would not run in ours but at this point I don't care. It is running and it sound GREAT! Better than i can ever remember any of our motors sounding.

Played a trick on Tanya though, told her it was not fixed when she came home from retrieving kids. Told her to try it and see it her luck was any better. Then it fired up for her and she was happy :Thumbs Up :Thumbs Up

Ready to kill me and Eric but she was to happy to.

Eric got his new tools christen this weekend. Thanks sooooooo much for coming down and helping with the swap ERIC!

To top it all off, to test the motor- we hauled the wrecker back to the shop! Went to take it back and it refused to start again... nothing a chain and an F350 couldn't handle!

Last edited:

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the truck is now headed for the RIVER. She ran fine, parked for about an hour and now she wont crank.:confused: :confused: I am at my whits end I dont understand what the F--- is going on. I know I am ready to blow this freaking truck up! Go buy me a gasser and say the hell with diesels.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad injector pump, let it cool down and see what happens.... but it could also be some sort of fuel leak or electrical difficulty since you have just done all that work on it. I know y'all don't want to mess with it now, but I imagine it might be something simple.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Damn BJ....I was wonderin' where Murph was .....didn't mean to chase him over to you guys .......

Stand back and impliment the KISS principle...IP getting juice.....fuel squirting from nozzles when spun over.....all fuel lines tight.....didn't by chance buggar up the rubber seal ring on the fuel filter :angel:

Crack a cold one and have Tanya rub them shoulders :angel: and look at the swap from beginning to end.......:popcorn

BTW......what happend to the $4k deal :confused:

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gave up for the night. So pissed off right now was best to quit before I did something stupid.

George I have not had a chance to check the fuel again I am affraid that it may not be getting fuel. Will check it tomarrow I got a feeling that the fuel pump may be bad. The IP Pump that i put on is the new pump that we got a few months ago.

the 4k deal is going also we just have been dealing with this right now.

the thing that has me so baffled is it was running like a dream hell pulled the damn wrecker back to the shop, no problem. DRove it back home never missed a lick pulled it in the drive turned it off. Later Tanya went to leave it started up for just a second then died and has done nothing since.

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
BJ says it doesn't crank so we're looking at battery, starter, elec. etc. issues
Like geo says KISS check batt voltage, check grounds, where do you have power? Sometimes the small trigger wire can get screwed up near the starter and cause a short if over tightened. We're here for you. Take a step back, and go step by step. Good Luck.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BJ says it doesn't crank so we're looking at battery, starter, elec. etc. issues
Like geo says KISS check batt voltage, check grounds, where do you have power? Sometimes the small trigger wire can get screwed up near the starter and cause a short if over tightened. We're here for you. Take a step back, and go step by step. Good Luck.

so didnt meanit wont crank it wont run it spins over fine just will not run.

the only thing I did do when we got back from town that i did not mention was adjust the idle down to the normal range. then turned it off now nothing]

Last edited:

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Dang Damn it Dang it!!!! That really sucks!! I'm sorry for all that! But man did it sound awesome before I left!! It really was purring like a kitten!! It's got to be something goofy! Definate deep breaths...we were about 30 mins from the house when I got off the phone with yah and I told the girls we were turning around and going back!! :eek: Keep us posted! Good luck...remember deep breaths no river!!

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thing I did not mention before. I cracked one of the injector lines and no fuel, I then cracked the line that goes from then fuel filter to the IP had Tanya turn it over and it took a few spins of the motor for it to spit fuel.

I am thinking thast the fuel pump is bad and can not pump under pressure does that make sense?

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kind of sounds like you have a leak in one of the lines somewhere, and its getting air in the lines and the fuel is leaking back to the tank.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would say that either you have an air leak that allowing the fuel to return to the tank via the supply line or you have a bad lift pump.

Hold on to your sanity, step back, pop the top on a cold one and come at it with fresh eyes in the morn.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to change the lift pump tomarrow evening when i get home from work. And see what happens

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Lift pump would be my guess about now. Its that or some other air leak somewhere. Gees, an electric lift pump sure would be great about now but thats on another page bout now.:confused: Just some slow small steps will fix it. Look at all the work that was done. You guys did a fantastic job in breakneck time. Pat yourselves on the back and look at the good stuff ja dun.....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really sounds like air...starts then stops is almost always air. If I were you, the Holley Red fuel pump would be a great mod...I just love mine...but I'm enough of a redneck that its on a toggle switch and the lift pump is just sitting there flapping o: the right way would be a block off plate $5, fuel pump relay/fuse, oil pressure safety switch and hot ign. wire. Keep your head up...this isn't the time to give up. If it blows up again...you gotta do what's right for the family...but this is almost 100% for sure something minor. Anytime you work on something like that it gets jacked up...I can't remember too many times when a truck project has gone perfectly.