#1 - 400
#2 - 250
#3 - 350
#4 - 400
#5 - 400
#6 - 400
#7 - 400
#8 - 400

I forgot to test #2 at first because the turbo was in the way so i skipped it. So i actually have two low cylinders.

So both heads are definitely coming off.

Ive never had both sides go at the same time ..

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary , your opinion means a lot to me so please don't hesitate to share your thoughts :)

Black dawg

Reaction score
being that it is a 6.2 AND it is turboed, it needs head gaskets, but I would put air to that low hole and make sure the engine is worth doing gaskets.

Every 6.2-6.5 I have ever owned had bad gaskets when I bought them, both sides.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too late for air , i should have done it .. but i tore in to it instead. I dont have much time and I dont have a leak down tester. To test them would have set me back a week. Should have the heads pulled tonight , will drop them off for hot tank and.mag tomorrow.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Without listening to the exhaust or intake during compression testing its hard to say if the rings or the valves are the problem at this point.. Airing up a cylinder sure would have been the way to go. Then you would know for sure about valves or rings. Sticking my neck out I say its valves.

Black dawg

Reaction score
doesnt take much of a valve leak to make noise in the intake or exhaust. If it isnt a valve issue causing the low compression, it is very easy to get the pan off, and pull that rod and piston.

I would stay with the aftermarket exhaust manifold, the 6.5 manifold doesnt fit this body style very well. Just make sure you put some bosch 80034 plugs in it before you put that downpipe back in.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't able to drop the heads off today as planned. The heads are still bolted down so I can still do a leak down test after all. What is the goal with this test ? To try to determine where the air is going ?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a thought .. probably stupid but who knows haha. You know the dye used in oil to find oil leaks ? What if i injected some in to the cylinder then pressurized it prior to removing the head .. ? Would that possibly force the dye through the leak , making it easy to identify the problem with the head off? Just a thought.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Eh, probably not.
Some will get past the rings anyways.
You'll hear the air leak real easy.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grabbed a hf leak tester today. I dont know if my compressor is too small or what but i cant get it to stay steady at 0. If i increase the pressure and set the gauge at 0 it slowly creeps passed until the gauge is maxed out. If i cant get it to stay steady at 0 i wont get an accurate loss percentage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.