IP cover install advice

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I pulled my IP cover off to install a hypermax smoke puffer limiter, and I am about ready to put it back on. However the instructions make it sound like if I do it wrong the engine will run away (I am prepaid to take care of it if it does run away).

I seem to remember reading a post about how to take it apart and how to put it back together, but I cannot find it now. I seem to remember that it said "if you hear a 'ping' when you take it apart you messed it up." I heard a ping, and am now concerned I am doing it right.....

Thanks for the help, I will be posting pics of the smoke puffer limiter when I get it all done.

PZ

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I am sorry that i can't be of much help but you may want to take a look @ Mel's article about installing Injectors and injection pumps in the tech section. i think it talks about taking off the cover off but i am not 100% sure.

Good Luck!

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
http://oilburners.net/brian/idi/FuelInjectionServicing.htm

"WARNING! Before proceeding read this important note!

Remove the top cover at your own risk. If you remove it, and do not reinstall it properly, your engine could enter a runaway state upon restarting. Pay particular attention to the way the fuel shut off arm must fit in the pump body, and ensure that you can hear a good click when you apply power to the pump BEFORE you attempt to start the truck. If the pump is not assembled correctly, full throttle would be applied and disconnecting power from the pump would not stop it. Only the removal of fuel or air would."

I want to know how well the smoke puff limiter works.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some time back I recall Mel posting a differant way of installing the pump top cover. He posted that power should be applied to the shutoff solenoid first. Then set the cover on the pump. I have not done it this way so check this information with Mel first before attemping it.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I just checked it after I installed it before I started it, and all is well. However I had been having problems with the advance solenoid, and now its completely done. it is ALWAYS on. I used to just stay on for a few minutes after the high idle would shut off, but now its always on! I just unplugged it and all is well, I don't think I will need it over the summer, and I am hoping to mooseify mine this fall, so I am not to worried about it.

As for the smoke puff limiter... I am in love! It holds the fuel off the line than when you make some boost it lets it rip! Really puts you back in the seat! I actually have the fuel screw MAXED and there is hardly any black off the line. I will probably back the fuel screw off 1 flat to help with the black higher in the power band (since I am not into rolling coal).

EDIT: I should add that the install was pretty darn simple! Just need to make sure that you get the cover back on right so that it doesn't run away when you fire it up!

PZ