interior questions

bubba_89

Reaction score
Ok my 89 has a red interior and red exterior. Really starting to mess with my eyes. Any ideas on cheap and easy ways to change the color of the interior???

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok my 89 has a red interior and red exterior. Really starting to mess with my eyes. Any ideas on cheap and easy ways to change the color of the interior???
Close yer eyes???

Paint....
finger paint and kids?
buy new interior?

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duplicolor (I think) makes stuff for dying/painting vinyl and plastics. Door panels replaced, add floor mats and a seat cover, and paint the dash with the Duplicolor stuff and you won't have to close your eyes anymore! I just wanna know how well riotwarriors fingerpraint and little kids method works!

bubba_89

Reaction score
hahahahaha.. roflmao.. yea if my daughter was a lil older i would let her do that... but i was thinking bout the duplicolor stuff. and buying some fabric and getting my mom to cut and sew my seat covers.. but as for the carpet i have no clue its either buy replacement or my buddy suggested rhino liner. im thinking a roll of auto carpet. but i do know that im going to go gray with all the panels and the seats are going to b mossyoak with rebel flag headliner..

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
There are a couple of people on here that love love love red interiors, Danielle for sure, so I would talk to her about what pieces you have and talk about a trade of sorts.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was red on red when I got it. I didn't like all of the red either.
I recovered the headliner and dash pad in black ultra leather, put a new black mat on the floor, got some seat covers from Cabellas, replaced the front door panels with some gray ones, then took out all of the plastic interior pieces, and painted them with the Duplicolor vinyl spray paint in black.
Now everything inside the truck is either black or gray and looks much better IMO.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bubba89? what kinda cab is your truck I have a stock brown carpet thats in good shape not show shape but still very nice. If that would help slove the carpet issue.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure to prep the plastic really well before you paint it.
Mine has been holding up well for almost 2 years. Only places I've had to touch up are where something actually took a sizable chunk out of the plastic - dang kids...

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that you should make sure you have not put on any shinny lotion on the plastic you wish to paint for at least a month it will cause it to no stick as it should. One way to make sure it does is a grey scuff pad from scotch and comment the house cleaner with water cleans plastic very well make sure no residue is left behind.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ext carpet but for 5 speed all take 35 plus ship. You can see a mat the or somthing I just steam cleaned it as well.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
My truck is red on red.. I'm use to it now. I like the red interior more then the red exterior.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these interiors actually genuine RED; or, are they Garnet-Red/Maroon ??

So far as painting, I have had good results using Krylon "FUSION" for plastics.

Like already said, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, prior to painting.

The instructions on the can say to use an ammonia-based household cleaner.

I used full-strength Mean Green because it was what I had.

Several years ago, my original 1985 headliner had faded to a puke-pink color; it was (and still is) nice and tight, with no sagging, just all faded to a sickly hue.

I taped-off and Times-journaled the entire interior and then spray-bombed the headliner with plain old Walmart-brand spray enamel, Maroon.

To this day, it looks better than when new; I was real pleased (and surprised) with the results.