Interior Door handle broken

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posted this over at SDD, but I know some of you will know this:

I need some help.. I feel like Luke Duke getting out of my truck :rotflmao

I need to tell some back story first. Last year, I had an incident where the inside drivers door handle broke off. Actually, there's a screw that went into the metal in the door, anyways, the metal in the door came out. To fix this, I put a piece of aluminum stock behind the sheet metal, and screwed into that. Been working really well.

For a few weeks now, it's been pretty rough getting the door to open from the inside. And I broke the handle completely off last night. Got a new one today. When I got it taken out, it appears that the handle won't pull the cable enough to actuate the lock. If I pull it tight, then pull the cable just a bit more, it will go ahead & unlock. Is there an adjustment on this so I can put it back in and have it work right?

Thanks, guys!

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Take the blots out of the bottom door hinge(2) and put some fender washers in between the door jamb and the hinge. Start with one each and see how that works. Then try two each. This has been my quick fix for company Ford trucks and it seems to work really well. Some of them I had to re weld the bracket that holds the handle mechanisim in place. Also if you are having trouble with breaking door handles get a chrome metal handle off of an '84 model. It is the same size and fits realy well and lasts longer. Hope this helps.

sassyrel

Reaction score
normallly---where the pivot is--just below the handle you replaced--is a fork piece moving the pin to pull the cable--you can sometimes pinch the fork back together--to get it to pull the cable---then again--you may have to buy the whole latch and cable assm---look up a few threads on how one person cured this problem--putting in the old style door mechanism--

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i keep breaking off door handles as well this is the third one
im starting to think there is a bigger issue now.

captain morgan- does that fix relieve the pressure off of it or?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think someone here has a write up on fixing it.
Something to do with strengthening the metal around the handle.

I can't remember who, but maybe they'll see this and chime in.