Intercooling

1994IDI

Reaction score
I would PM russ regarding size on his intake hat, but I think he has, or is leaving soon for a long vacation. Does anyone know the size of his custom hats, price, and applications?

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their 3" and last year it was about $120. may be more now. I'm running it with the stock ATS turbo that I clocked up for clearance.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he leaves in july i think so if you worder now hell problly be able to shipit

1994IDI

Reaction score
It sounds like 3" is the piping size that is desired. However, it doesn't look like 3" pipe will fit around the core support to get to the front of the radiator. Anyone with the last generation of IDI who has intercooled with 3" pipe? Do you have to hack the core support?

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need to do a little cutting to get through the core support.

Attachments

• Intercooler intall 006.jpg
    Intercooler intall 006.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 24

92f350dually

Diesel Dummy
Reaction score
I have a question, I'm rather new to the diesel pickup world, I'm a truck driver but not a diesel mechanic, well until I purchased my 7.3 idi ford a few weeks ago. I'm thinking about an IC setup, has anyone ever thought of putting dual electric fans on the IC to keep the cold air moving over it so it doesnt get hot while sitting in traffic, loading unloading horses, ect.. keep it nice an cool so you have it when you take off? I could run the fans to a toggle to use them when I am stopped, during the summer months, in low gears pulling a hill with not much wind flowing thru it. Dont know if it would help at all or just be in the way of the ambient air moving thru the IC. Any thoughts?

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3" piping on my 93. I took the plasma cutter to the core support. It still hasnt gotten very hot here, but I am probably going to have to go to a bigger IC if I decide to tow heavy in the summer. I dont remember the exact core size but its only 3" thick and need to be 4". Not for air flow, but cooling capacity. I am also running 12 PSI, and my stock pump is maxed out. If i was at a lower power level it would do fine. Somewhere is a thread I started when I did the install with pictures.

I recently bought a 95 powerstroke, and am planning on intercooling it as well. seems most of the OBS boys prefer the 6.0 cooler to the 7.3 superduty cooler.

92f350dually

Diesel Dummy
Reaction score
Hmmm maybe I'll find a dyno, do that with the fans, do 2 runs, 1 fans on, 1 fans off, see if there is any difference at all. It's worth a shot right?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fans on a dyno is good cause its like the rad needs moving air
but in real world app its a waste cause the turbo at idle just above idle aint doing much so y does the intercooler need to work more?

1994IDI

Reaction score
Russ doesn't have time to ship any orders, so the intercooling will be on hold for awhile. I'll update you all later in the summer.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fans on a dyno is good cause its like the rad needs moving air
but in real world app its a waste cause the turbo at idle just above idle aint doing much so y does the intercooler need to work more?
not completely true or false.
the IC gets awfully hot under load and help moving air across it doesn't hurt at all.
One thing you guys need to remember, is the later model trucks run the AC condenser IN FRONT of the IC. I have a half height IC in my truck that blocks a portion of the AC. I managed to set off the safety blow off valves on the compressor in 130deg Barstow morning. Granted the truck has R134 in it running through a R12 core, this is something you need to take into account on your IC builds.
One last thing, do not mount the IC to the radiator support AND the truck frame. There is an extreme amount of movement between the two and you will rip apart your IC. either allow the IC to "float" on radiator support mounts or frame mounts but never tie the two.

92f350dually

Diesel Dummy
Reaction score
The at idle thing with the fans, is not because I am thinking that the truck needs to make power while it's sitting, was just wondering if the fans would help keep the metal cooler that way it will be more effective when you do start moving, seeing as it would heat up quite a bit from the engine and radiator being so close. Fans would be cheap and if it helped at all it would be worth it, I would think. Especially on a HOT day, at the bottom of a hill, with a heavy load, and trying to get moving from a dead stop. For those of you who live in the hills and know how they like to put stop lights at the bottom, this may make sense to you too.

Also instead of fuster clucking it against the radiator, what about mounting the IC right behind the front bumper, face down, with a J shaped scoop to catch the air and direct it up through the IC, thus keeping it cooler and away from the radiator. Could put chicken wire and screen over the opening to the scoop to protect it from road debris. Just a thought. Could fiberglass up a scoop pretty easily.

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Slade, do you have any underhood pics of your piping? Thinking of doing mine soon.

Rob

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go

Attachments

• Intercooler intall 021.jpg
    Intercooler intall 021.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Intercooler intall 022.jpg
    Intercooler intall 022.jpg
    869.8 KB · Views: 15