Intercooling

1994IDI

Reaction score
I have never examined an intercooler setup close up, and was unable to find detailed instructions in the forum search. I apologize if this has been covered, but does anyone care to post a previous right up or their own experience covering the details of an intercooler install. Ive come across a couple of deals on intercoolers, but don't know how much extra money and materials I will need. I know towcat swears by the intercoolers on his truck, and I would like to give one a try. I have the factory turbo, with a custom 4" intake. Will that be able to stay? Any advice is appreciated, as always.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Since a couple more years have gone by since the posting of that thread, do we have any more solid information on what requirements need to be had on an IC to be used for these trucks. After reading those posts, I think I will stick with a half height IC, but wonder if there is any aggreeance on CFM and other specifications... what am I looking for?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering that these motors were discontinued in 1995, not much breakthrough research has been done. most of the two year old info is still very valid. But don't let me discourage you from achieving a new discoveries. ;Sweet
just make sure you carefully document your calcs so the rest of us can see:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pretty much in the same situation you are. The biggest hurdle was selecting an intercooler, figuring out how to make it fit, and then plumbing it. On the surface, it is a very simple concept. Just make the air take a detour between the turbo and the intake hat. And it is that simple. Limited space, and desired flow characteristics are the challenge. Follow my thread here for some guidance.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I did some talking to some hard core diesel gurus that built a pulling truck that has been blowing all the other trucks into the weeds. Darrin got to see it last year at one of the local fairs. I think that video is still floating around here somewhere and has been viewed here by some bigshots on the pulling circuits and were very impressed.:D

They were telling me that the 99 PSD sized intercoolers are juuuuust right for our aplications and if 3" tubing can be used to get the air to and from to use it. ;Sweet

WHY? I asked them.

Their reasoning is more volume + less restriction= more cooling time for exchange air at the loss of a few pounds of boost.
But the loss in boost is MORE than compensated by the extra time the charge air has to cool making it more dense.

I'll hopefully have said system installed this time around for the rally.:sly

1994IDI

Reaction score
Is ordering a new intake hat from ATS the only way to go? Any other ways to fasten the intercooler piping to the intake?

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look like this

Attachments

• Intercooler intall 020.jpg
    Intercooler intall 020.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member