Intake Question

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been doing research about cold air intakes and I have a plan to add an air raid filter (http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=700-499) where my windshield washer fluid and radiator reservoir are. Will a tornado kit or duct fan help in the tube behind the filter and would a hood scoop directly above the air filter help? The tornado kits don't seem like they would be very effective but my friend says that he put in a tornado kit in his truck and it "completely transformed" it. I thought it would be best to get some more answers before I do anything. Thanks for all the help!

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good. little pricy. think i paid around 50$ for my kn&n. i know not alot of people like those.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate oiled filters. And most people hate K&Ns because they don't filter well. I really like my AEM Dryflow filter. It's an oilless lifetime filter, only $50, and seemed to have better data than most from used oil analyses showing very low silicone, indicating good air filtration.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I hate oiled filters. And most people hate K&Ns because they don't filter well. I really like my AEM Dryflow filter. It's an oilless lifetime filter, only $50, and seemed to have better data than most from used oil analyses showing very low silicone, indicating good air filtration.

I wouldn't say I hate them. Least not on a intake-sensor-less engine.

K&N's actually filter better when they're dirty. It's a fact.

But will agree that dry flow filters are better.

I forgot to mention, can also do the 6637 filter, like the psd guys do.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, can also do the 6637 filter, like the psd guys do.

Costs and cleaning aside, which is better for the truck: the 6637 from napa or the airraid? Also, is the diameter of the airraid going to allow the hood to close because it is a little bit bigger?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't have experience with airaid.
But the "6637" (not actual part#) from Donaldson is a great filter.
Donaldson makes most filters for heavy equipment also.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Donaldson part number is B085011. The 6637 is a NAPA part number.

And for the manifold portion of the intake, a Dodge snail with the bolt through the middle will fit.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I just got the 6637 and that ******* is HUGE, and I am talking barely fits in bat tray. I dont really want to relocate washer and rad overflow and I am not sacrificing any of my 3 batteries so I am thinking that I will put it between the ac compressor and ps pump

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in the desert and a k&n is a bad idea here. I have seen dusted turbos and intake tubes full of dirt. Those filters filter so poorly that k&n offeres a sock to be used in dusty places. No thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online