Instrument cluster

I Bleed Blue

Reaction score
few issues with my instrument cluster I haven’t dove into it to look for problems that will be next weekend. But where can I get a reliable one rebuilt or send mine to be rebuilt. If anyone has experience with diy let me know please. I like everything to work and a couple gauges have crapped out over some time. 1992 f250 7.3 idi

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all your gauges are either completely dysfunctional or if they collectively fail at the same time, then you have an under-dash ground problem. Your cluster is likely ok as is.

But if you have some gauges working and other failing sporadically, then you have sender issues. The tank guages are notorious for failing, and the oil pressure and temp gauges are already useless. So, in that case, you need to address the senders, not the instrument panel. Your cluster is likely ok as is.

If I were you, I would fix any offending senders and clean all the grounds. Then instead of fixing the stock cluster, I would (and have already) devoted my time to investing in good Autometer gauges and pods to replace the stock idiot gauges. Since I have 7 guages now in my IDI van, I almost never use the stock gauges anymore except for just the tank quantity. Even my GPS has a better speedo.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket gauges are a must if you want to know what is going on with your truck. Your truck probably has the fake oil pressure gauge which reads in the middle of "normal" with any pressure over 5 psi, and will read nothing with no pressure. By the way, what is "normal"? Why not put gauges under the dash that have real numbers on them? The only one to worry about is the fuel gauge.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's also possible to replace the gauge (oil pressure, temp, etc.) itself. Mechanical aftermarket gauges are really the best way to go.

Runningaford

Reaction score
The tech articles at the top of the forum; there's a guy in there that actually removed the left hand 1/3 of the gauges on his OBS; leaving only the speedo, and tach gauges. He installed real gauges in their place; leaving the speedo, and tach untouched.

It was a neat, clean, and good installation; at some point I plan on doing similar.