***** - Installing IP, Injectors, Return Lines, and GPs

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get the timing probe seated fully, so I can't get an RPM reading. I have the probe in slightly past the compression ring on the probe itself but the meter says 10 RPM. I can't get it to go any deeper, even with pliers.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well your timing method is spot on. You ARE using the upper probe hole (the taller one) not the bottom one, correct? Can I also assume you have never unbolted your pump timing gear cover? The shaking at idle is a dead giveaway that something is not right. The injectors you are using... regardless of new or old, you have pop tested them to verify they are good?

experience at its finest right there boys.
iv been struggling with helping Eaton get his truck going for a awhile now,and never occurred to me to ask such a question.
im kicking myself now.good thing for you guys with years and years of experience.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get the timing probe seated fully, so I can't get an RPM reading. I have the probe in slightly past the compression ring on the probe itself but the meter says 10 RPM. I can't get it to go any deeper, even with pliers.

This is why when I do my timing clinics, it is the main piece of "homework" that I require from my clients. I've spent as much as 3 hours trying to get a probe to fit in that hole properly. Your main and only tool is a 5/16" drill bit or tap. You can turn it with fingers, pliers, vice grips, or whatever you can use. Depending on the motor, accessory layout, belts, etc... it can be an experience in hell and frustration like no other. Most importantly, keep the butt end of the drill bit in good condition. This is your testing tool. Once you can get the chuck end to fit down in there until you can slide it up and down and make a nice metalic sound with it as it bounces off the crankshaft damper, that is how you know your task is complete. Just be carefull... I've seen at least one front cover where the user broke the probe hole off the front cover. It is just crimped on there.... :rolleyes:

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mel.

I tried the 5/16" drill bit yesterday but I had a hard time turning it. I'll give it another shot once I get home. I hope once I get my timing set correctly, my issues will go away. I can't wait to get my baby back on the road.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the drill bit wont fit then the crank probe wont fit either. You must get the drill bit to fit all the way to the crank dampner. Try to loosen up the dirt in there with atf or penatrating spray like aerokroil or pb blaster. That probe hole needs to be clean. Sounds like nobody ever tried to time this engine ever. Go at it easy. The fitting thats full of crap is only pressed snd flared on the timing tab.... Break it off and your in the deep end of the **** pool....:D

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind I am probably only getting 3/4 throttle when I have my foot to the floor because the cable is broken at the end and it binds up. I'm getting a replacement cable soon.

It does shake a little at idle but it must be normal. It is a diesel after all.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little concerned about that shake. It's either a bad injector, or you have a valve that may not be seating properly. The former... no concern. The later... warrants futher investigation. Definitely running strong though! Timing makes a world of difference, and too much before OR after is always bad news. Congrats on us ALL working together to solve this!

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'll start a new thread for the shaking issue. I still need to fix my leaky fuel heater. I know there are already threads on that. I'll be doing that this weekend most likely.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin