Installed a MBRP Downpipe & Exhaust

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
And it only took 6.5 hours to get r done :backoff

The downpipe to midpipe fit was a nightmare ya can only dream of & it took fully 4 hours to get installed in a fully equipped auto shop and if not for the guy helping me I'd have blown the truck up to collect the insurance :viking:

Here's the old down pipe & the new one:

You must be registered for see images attach

Had to adjust MBRP's downpipe several times with a sawzall to get it to mate up with the midpipe and that's just plain crazzy when installing a properly engineered system. Here's one of the rings cut off the downpipe:

Then we had to adjust the midpipe several times to get it ot fit & again why is this needed on a qualiity engineered system? Here's the Midpipe's 1st cutting but it took several more adjustments to get it to fit, ya can see where the factory slits were cut deeper & then the pipe cut & notched:

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Who knows maby I was wrong in expecting a plug and play system but you would think that 10 years after the OBS came out MBRP would know about how much of a pain in the *** it was and put something in the instructions saying you might need to cut the downpipe & midppipe at least.

If you look close ya can see where there is trannie frame rail contact with the midpipe & how it still needs to be "adjusted" with a hammer to clear the trannie crossmember. This is just not acceptable on a quality engineered system like the MBRP was reported to be. You can also see how close the exhaust clamp is to the transfer case & how the hangars are poking out like they were for a different truck.

To be fair, we did not have the dealers number I got the system from to call and ask about install help when I was about ready to blow up the truck, but we did have MBRP's number and called & talked to a install guy who said we had the right kit and it should fit. He was of no help at all. I've since exchanged a couple e-mails with the vendor who has apologized (it's not his fault at all) and sent them up to his sales manager & I've also sent one to MBRP's generic e-mail address from there web page with no reply from them yet.

The turbo now spools up faster & she takes off/build up speed quite a bit better than with the stock system & without a doubt according to the seat of the pants dyno she runs soo much better than stock & sounds like a truck should sound so I'm happy with the performance & sound gains & once we do the final tighten/adjustment knowing the exhaust will not hit the frame & such when 4 wheeling I'll be much happier.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Ramp is that an auto or manual? I have heard of some 5 sp. not fitting right. We had no problems fitting mine.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
you did better than me , had 2 different 5 speed trucks and the pipe would not fit, ened up going with a different one.
according to the tech guy at mbrp, they dont have any problems fitting.
even the wharehouser I bought the kit from said thye fit well. I offered to drive to nashville and let him install it, but that is a whole other story.

bobwb

Reaction score
next a air intake system, chip, guages too? then yu think yu got a real performer.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Well the last I heard of your truck was when you put diesel in it :D after not driving it for awhile. I think you're driving in now...now that diesel is affordable again. Glad you had a nightmare with the install buddy... LOL ...but honestly it looks good! ;Sweet

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
A MBRP guy took a look at the pictures and according to him the bracket in the 4th picture from the bottom that the pipe is rubbing against can be removed to give the truck the clearance the exhaust needs. He was saying not all the trucks have that bracket for whatever reason. Have not had time to do it, or the weather stunk so it's still rubbing against the bracket.

However, I've put off replacing the clutch & now I think it's starting to slip, so that might be next up :mad::mad::mad::mad:

red 6 0-no

senioritis
Reaction score
ramp-
i got a question....in your photos, it looks like you are using aluminum dp and 304 for rest of system....your 3rd photo shows what i mean...is that so? and is that a reason your system did not fit properly????

otherwise, great rite-up and pix. now i know what a close-up looks like of the system...and i gotta say - i do not like the tip - you can see the 'clamp' and i am more of a clean look guy and am bummed you see all that.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
As far as I know the DP is 304, that's my understanding anywhoo.

jdeere5105

Reaction score
I have the same system and the downpipe is aluminized. I ran across this thread with help from double s. This is giving me a fit to install. I have been working with MBRP and sending photos left and right. Their system was designed with an auto truck and the crossmemeber is way different. :dunno

Jason

red 6 0-no

senioritis
Reaction score
deere-
are you saying the dp is aluminum and the rest is 304? if so that is way wierd. and this is the first i have heard of mbrp having such issues....what is MBRP saying?

jdeere5105

Reaction score
It is aluminized for whatever the reason. The rest is 304. MBRP has been asking alot of questions. They did tell me I could remove the gusset on the cross member. They are supposedly going to look in to the build specs of the trucks. So they say. I just noticed today that the angles on the muffler clamps as well as the other 2 clamps are aimed the wrong direction. I am really frustrated. I will take some pics to send to Dave at MBRP and then I am going to cut the clamps and weld them the direction they need to be. I have been without my truck for a week and a half now and I am tired of it. I have it together just not full clamped. It sounds a great deal louder in the underhood dept. I assume that is normal. I wish that MBRP had included heat shield for the down pipe.

I bought an MBRP exhaust for the 6.0 that I had and it was great. This has been a nightmare to say the least. The tech guy keeps telling me he can bend me a pipe, but it is gonna be hard to do when all I can do is send photos to him. I feel like they need to look at their design all together since they based if off of an auto truck. The member on it is connected to the outside of the frame whereas the manual is connected on the inside of the frame channel.

I will post more after I get finished and talk to MBRP again on Monday.. Would work on it sooner, but I left my tank on on my welder and well......it leaked out and will have to get more on Monday.

Jason

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online