Installed a MBRP Downpipe & Exhaust

red 6 0-no

senioritis
Reaction score
As far as I know the DP is 304, that's my understanding anywhoo.

ramp-
can you confirm this 100%?
yours is the same as jdeere's - alum dp and 304 rest? all i can say is WOW!!. :eek:
can you 2 guys tell me what 'type' of system you bought - the aluminum or the 304? because to me, to buy one or the other and get both in set is way wrong? and obviously there has been some type of error on their part - besides the fact they you are having such installation issues...:mad:

i have always heard mbrp is the 'chosen' one as far as exhaust goes and installation - so to hear of your trouble is concerning to say the least...makes me re-think my exhaust choice (when i get oneLOL)

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
red-
their whole systems are stainless steel, just the downpipe has an aluminum coating, no idea as to why. Most cheaper regular steel exhaust pipe is aluminized to help prevent rust and corrosion for a little longer than a pipe with nothing on it.

red 6 0-no

senioritis
Reaction score
guys-
at the risk of not sounding ignorant (i have been wrong before!!!!!):angel:

i KNOW there are aluminum, 409 and 304 exhaust systems currently on the market. but what i did not know and seems what you are saying is that when you buy a '304 ss' system you are telling me that you get a aluminum dp - is that correct?

for years now it has been my 'understanding' that an aluminum system is 'all aluminum' and a 409 is to be 'all 409' & a 304 is to be an 'all 304' system. not buy a 304 and get a aluminum dp. AND IF IT IS THAT CASE, gee i appologize and was thoroughly mis-informed and mis-understood.

the point was to ask a question based on what i saw in your pictures because it confused me, not to sound like a pain in the butt. because to me, 'the confusion' is what could have been leading up to your guys' difficulty in installing.......:dunno

jdeere5105

Reaction score
Yes it is only the downpipe. I just finished for now. I had to modify 3 of the hangers. Had to cut and weld two of them.

red 6 0-no

senioritis
Reaction score
i will have to take your word for it - thank you.

well, glad u got it on and sorry u had to struggle. their systems is sposed to be one of the easiest to install

jdeere5105

Reaction score
I have a question for those of you with the old body styles. When you replaced the downpipe, did it make the engine sound in your cab substantially louder? I have had aftermarket exhausts but never this loud.

Jason

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
For me it made it louder, but not annoying loud, it just sounds much better to me

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you with the old body styles. When you replaced the downpipe, did it make the engine sound in your cab substantially louder? I have had aftermarket exhausts but never this loud.

Jason

A little, but like Ramp said not annoying. Just make sure the DP is not rubbing on anything. ;Sweet

jdeere5105

Reaction score
Well it is kind of strange. It has been loud sometimes and what I would consider normal at others. I have questioned whether or not the downpipe was seated properly against the turbine outlet, but that should be the same all of the time. This is louder than others at times.

Jason

jdeere5105

Reaction score
Just wanted to give you an update. I have been working with a customer service rep at MBRP and they have been nothing but helpful so far. I have been sending photos to them and they are currently trying to make me a replacement pipe to go around and over the cross member. I will keep updating for those interested and when I get it and get it installed I will post a pic.

Thanks

Jason

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
All the guy at MBRP told me was that I could remove the support crossmember and things would work, Can't say they were all that helpful at all.

Who are you talking to at MBRP and have you shown them this thread?

I still need to remove the crossmember but I've been stalling as I really do not want to remove it.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Just wanted to give you an update. I have been working with a customer service rep at MBRP and they have been nothing but helpful so far. I have been sending photos to them and they are currently trying to make me a replacement pipe to go around and over the cross member. I will keep updating for those interested and when I get it and get it installed I will post a pic.

Thanks

Jason

Any update?????

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Well, finally made time with JV to remove the cross member bracket in the picture below that MRBP said was ok to remove.

Was a pain to remove, but it came off without removing the exhaust. Sure wish MRBP put in a sentence stating to remove it instead of forcing us to struggle with it. Sad a 3 hour exhaust installation took aprox 9 hours to do.

I'm not sure I like how the cross member is held on with one bolt now that the brace is gone, but we shall see how it works over time.

Made the 1st out of town trip with the PSD today after removing the brace & the truck ran fine, dd not smoke much at all & sounded rather good. Also seems the MPG might be up a tad, but it's to soon to tell for sure.

You must be registered for see images attach

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I was just about to order this same system. I'm thinking I'll look for something else. Is everyone having this much trouble with MBRP? Even if you install the auto tranny system on an auto tranny truck?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online