Inside Door Handles

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have broke 2 black plastic handles in the last month, I don't jerk them just pull up like I always have done. The first one was the one that came out on my truck and the 2nd one I bought from parts store. When the 1st one broke I figured it was just old and it was -1* out but when the 2nd one broke it really pi%$*# me off. So I made 1 myself but I would like to put something that looks better back on.
I was wondering if the chrome handles off a 83 to 86 metal ones will interchange, there are 2 of them 80 to 86 on E-Bay now and cheap. If I replace 1 with the chrome I want to replace both to make it look the same.

Jim

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes the all metal ones will interchange. I've been installing the plastic ones as the metal ones break off.
do yourself a favor and check to see if the effort needed to pull the handle on your driver's side is as much as needed to pull the passenger side.
I've found that when the cable on the driver's side starts to wear out, the effort increases significantly. The bad news is that ford won't sell you the cable itself. they want to sell you the whole assy. Roughly $125.:eek:-cuss
the good news is that the earlier linkage rod assy's will bolt right in:D;Sweet;Sweet
those are all the doors from 81-91.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the all metal ones will interchange. I've been installing the plastic ones as the metal ones break off.
do yourself a favor and check to see if the effort needed to pull the handle on your driver's side is as much as needed to pull the passenger side.
I've found that when the cable on the driver's side starts to wear out, the effort increases significantly. The bad news is that ford won't sell you the cable itself. they want to sell you the whole assy. Roughly $125.:eek:-cuss
the good news is that the earlier linkage rod assy's will bolt right in:D;Sweet;Sweet
those are all the doors from 81-91.

Thanks towcat, I did replace the cable on the drivers door after the 2nd handle broke and I think that was the reason they broke. You can get the cables off E-Bay as I have bought 2 of them, they are not cheap but a lot cheaper than what Ford wants to sell. The dealer said I could not buy just the cable so when I bought the first 1 I took it to the dealer and show it to them still in the package and the parts guy eyes got wide open, said he had no idea they were for sale cookoo

bryand

Reaction score
check the door itself. It will be cracked or broken behind where the handle attaches to the door. Its a common problem. there is a fix by using a 5/16 fender washer trimmed a little. Inserted between the captured nut and door, I think. I'm sure somene will chime in with a link or another source.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the door itself. It will be cracked or broken behind where the handle attaches to the door. Its a common problem. there is a fix by using a 5/16 fender washer trimmed a little. Inserted between the captured nut and door, I think. I'm sure somene will chime in with a link or another source.

The first time I replaced the cable I did fix that spot. These doors are so flimsy that when I roll up the window to the top you can you can see the door bow out where the regulator mounts.

Jim

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Can someone post a picture of this?:confused:

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
You can also weld on the door and it makes them good as new.. We have done it to I don't remember how many of these doors now and it has worked every time.... ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
After having two of the cheap handles break, I got the last one from Ford . On the second replacement I greased the snot out of the cable and it works freely, but the cheap handle still broke, the dealer handle has held up about 8 months

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
99% of the time, its a stretched cable that is at fault.
When the cable stretches, You over compensate by pulling the handle harder, without even realizing Your doing it.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont forget about a saggy door, if the door hinges are wore they in turn will sag door, which will take more effort to open door, and stretches cable to make it even harder to open till something gives. cables by design are prone st strech so the next weak link will break.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These doors are so flimsy that when I roll up the window to the top you can you can see the door bow out where the regulator mounts.

Jim

Hey Jim, ever notice the door skin flap in the breeze on a your superduty. Talk about flimsy. :rolleyes: I think you can see the door bow because there's real steel in there that is strong enough to bend something. LOL