Inlet size on old ATS turbo?

SKimballC

Reaction score
Well, here's some pics as it sits. I may try moving the washer and coolant reservoirs and put the filter there, but I may have a line on a wastegated ATS that would replace the old turbo so I may wait and see how that pans out before I reroute anything.

Attachments

• IMG_7992_1.JPG
    IMG_7992_1.JPG
    970.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7995.JPG
    IMG_7995.JPG
    698.3 KB · Views: 40

SKimballC

Reaction score
For the CDR I found a ricer intake tube thats for an air flow meter which had a few different adapters in it for different makes. One of them was perfect, so I hogged out the hole and made a collar that the CDR grommet fits in and bent the aluminum around the pipe to bolt the valve to. Works well so far.

Attachments

• IMG_7994_1.JPG
    IMG_7994_1.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 28

SKimballC

Reaction score
I bought the Dryflow filter off the AEM website. It is 9" long and has a 3" hole. I got 2 feet of 3" alum pipe, the 45 degree rubber boot, and a 3" to 2.75" adapter that fits inside the end of the boot from Airflo. The ricer section of 3" 'pipe'- its abs plastic- with the air flow meter turned CDR valve adapter and two 3" couplers I got at Autozone. It was really simple but turned out perfect. This shows the thing after I enlarged the hole in the afm adapter and before I attached a ring on it that the CDR grommet slips into.

Attachments

• Img_7990.jpg
    Img_7990.jpg
    900.9 KB · Views: 23

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks great Shane! Any negative effects with the CDR flipped on its side like that? I was thinking it would have to be mounted upright to allow the oil to drain out properly...

Ryan

SKimballC

Reaction score
I initially tried to fit it in there as it used to- standing up with the nipple pointing down, but with the angle of the intake tube the injector lines were in the way, so thats how it ended up where it is. It seems like its working just the same as it was. The tube points slightly up so that the filter is the highest point and the CDR is not all the way sideways. I used clear vinyl hose to the CDR, which I just pulled off and I can see where the oil is draining back to the valve cover. The CDR doesn't have any more oil in it than usual so I don't think its compromised.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good... I'm gonna re-install my CDR as soon as I get my damn oil leak fixed. I'll probably fab a fitting up and weld it to my intake tube, since mine is steel. I like the aluminum tubing on yours though- looks great!

Ryan

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yeah, that'd be the best way to do it, just weld a fitting to the pipe to connect the CDR to. You could put some studs in it or some other way of mounting the CDR to it as well.