injector pumps

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading the link posted by tradergem and the link posted by Diezel_Cowboy, I realized it is the 50th birthday of the model DB injector pump. :yell: Not the best fuel mileage, but reliable.

So who is going to test the DS ip and see if we can get an extra 5 mpg?

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That would be kinda cool, but the electronic part of the DS pump kinda sucks. Looks like it could deliver almost twice the fuel preasure as our pumps. Looks like it would take a lot of work to put one on.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang. Didn't know the family was that old. Well it makes sense seeing how the Moose Truck turns 25 this year. Guess that pump was around on tractors and what not 25 years before that. That electronic gizmo is probably more expensive than one of my Moose Pumps.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the DS series pumps are the bane of the chevy 6.5 -cuss-cuss-cuss
do a search on "PMD" and you'll get the scoop on how well(not) the borg implant lives on the side of a IP.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat is right about the DS4. There is supposedly a correction for that problem something about a heat sink? The problems I see are 1) I'm very skeptical that you'd see any mileage increase with it let alone 5 mpg becuase I usually hear that the 6.2s got better mileage than the 6.5s. I may be wrong but it seems to be the case. 2) The GM setup was a mirror image of the Ford DB2 pump as some here put it, they turn the opposite direction. Ford never used a DS pump, they went right from the mech injection to the PSD, so finding one that rotated the right way would be difficult or impossible 3) If you had one fail, a factory DS4 rebuild runs closer to 1000 than 500 dollars. I know a guy that tried running his 6.5TD suburban on WVO and wound up replacing 2 of these pumps at well over 2000 buck total...ouch!! Good thing he's a lawyer with plenty of coin.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did not realize that was what the 6.5L ran. My brother-in-law bought a 95 or 96 last year and it has less power and gets worse mileage than my turb'd 7.3L. While the n/a 6.2L was way under powered, at least they got decent fuel mileage.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decent? 6.2s usually got in the low 20s, that's real good for any full sized car or truck. Also a 6.9 or 7.3 can get 19-20 on the highway if it is properly timed and geared high enough. I wish I knew why some of these guys have great luck with getting 15-16mpg in town and near 20 on the highway and others are lucky to get 15 on the highway. I know that the transmission and the gearing have a lot to do with it as do your driving habits, but it seems that it varies a good bit from engine to engine anyway, true also on the Dodge Cummins and the PSD from what I can read. Any theories?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Decent? 6.2s usually got in the low 20s, that's real good for any full sized car or truck. Also a 6.9 or 7.3 can get 19-20 on the highway if it is properly timed and geared high enough. I wish I knew why some of these guys have great luck with getting 15-16mpg in town and near 20 on the highway and others are lucky to get 15 on the highway. I know that the transmission and the gearing have a lot to do with it as do your driving habits, but it seems that it varies a good bit from engine to engine anyway, true also on the Dodge Cummins and the PSD from what I can read. Any theories?

Thats my thinking, why such a huge variance. One guy with the same setup will get upper teens, the other guy will get mid teens, I just dont get it. Maybe altitude plays a role, as with the fuel, fuel additive, tranny, gears, wheel bearings.....ect. there's alot of variables.

It also seems to me that 6.9's get better fuel economy than 7.3's, anybody else notice that?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is possible. 7.3's were changed in the design phase to meet stricter environmental regulations. And we all know what emissions controls do to engines. :puke: The injectors were pulled back some, and the glow plugs off-set. I think the prechamber size was changed too.