Injector Pump Leak

scjarena

Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find a posting for this. Anyways, on a 1990 7.3, I have an occasional leak on the seal as shown in the pic. Any tip on fixing this? After pulling the pump, can this seal be replaced without have to tear down or rebuild the pump?

Attachments

• 7788.jpg
    7788.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry, rebuild time. The sliding piston inherently wears the cylinder area and needs honed or oversized. Classic Diesel Designs builds one with a ceramic sleeve, or Russ repair rebuilds as well. Search hall of shame for pumps YOU SHOULD NEVER DEAL WITH! Florida companies are top of the rip off list!

IDIDIDIhoDhoDhoDO

Reaction score
You'll need a seal kit but if you've already got the injection pump off then you should be able to just remove that external lever that goes between the throttle shaft cam and the plunger and then unscrew the big plug that the plunger passes through. Once that plug is out then you can replace both the O-ring that seals between the plug and the pump body and the seal that seals where the plunger passes through the center of the plug.

scjarena

Reaction score
I pulled the inj pump, removed the lever and plunger. I'll replace the seals and see what happens, otherwise I'll just get a rebuilt pump.