Injector nozzle diameter

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a effort to get a diagnosis of my stuck rings or glazed cylinders, need to know the diameter of injector nozzles. Or the size of the hole in the head.
Because I've found decent prices on bore scopes online. But there are a wide range of sizes, 8mm, 7mm, 5.5mm.
Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice to know the size but how are you planning to get the tip thru the precup opening into the cylinder? Then if you can get it thru that hole how will you pull it back out? I suppose if its small enough it will go both ways.:dunno

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You most likely woln't be able to get a good view of the cylinder walls - the injector and glow plug holes both open into the prechamber cup which is connected to the cylinder proper by a very small opening. Even if you can get a scope though the prechamber throat, you'll have some difficulty I think seeing anything useful within the cylinder - you'll only be able to maybe see the wall directly alighted with the throat.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok good points, what about going through intake valve, how far off the seat does the valve lift?? (In this case mm)
Take the turbo hat off the intake, then with camera on rotate engine until valve it at full lift....
Or I suppose a person could remove valve cover, then use something bolted to the rocker spot/bolt hole and manually open the valve far enough....
I thought the injectors had a straight "shot" into cylinder?? Even with precups??

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or I suppose a person could remove valve cover, then use something bolted to the rocker spot/bolt hole and manually open the valve far enough....

Think about it. Since the valves open and close on the underside of the head.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok maybe I'm missing something.
In order to see inside the cylinder, would it work to run the bore scope thru the intake, thru the manifold runner, then if the intake valve was open (far enough) into the cylinder.
Same route air gets in the cylinder....????
Going this route only if it does not work going thru the injector hole/port..
I could be over thinking something....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may go through valve simple enough but not sure what all you will see it may be stareing at top of piston...qnd if it hangs up on valve its a remove head to likely get it out.

To what purpose are you doing this.

Comp and leakdown test should tell you all you need to know combined with known engine history aka mileage oil consumption etc

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if its giving you so much anxiety that you absoutely need to look at the slugs, like i have on a few engines recently,
i would advise pulling the heads.
you can tell alot about an engine at this point.

if the cylinders look good, have the heads machined, new gaskets and head studs, and youre golden.