Injector changeout

nic55kel

Nic55kel
Reaction score
Decided I could put it off no longer.
Number 1 & 3 lines were hot to the touch, truck started smoking blue and had just developed a miss.
#1 injector was actually loose
#3 carbon-ed up and copper split and stuck in pocket
#5 the only one I would call good
#7 came apart on removal
#2 okay
#4 carbon-ed up
#6 injector nozzle split
#8 came apart on removal

Funny thing is the truck until my last 50 mile trip did not run that badly and I was getting 14 mpg (US) highway.

Just waiting for my seat cutter and shotgun brush as need to clean the injector pockets very well.

Will report back how much different the beast is with new and tightly sealed injectors.

Will be timing it with a lumosity probe at about 5 after.

Attachments

• Diesel 010.JPG
    Diesel 010.JPG
    724.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Diesel 012.JPG
    Diesel 012.JPG
    719.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Diesel 014.JPG
    Diesel 014.JPG
    741 KB · Views: 38
  • Diesel 019.JPG
    Diesel 019.JPG
    711.6 KB · Views: 37

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow are those injectors ever a mess. From the looks of them I see the one on the extreme right a reman injector. Looks like there are 4 of one kind and 4 of another kind. Was this your work or someone else changed out half th set. A seat reamer is really going to help repair the cast iron seats damaged in the heads. Take your time and don't try to cut too much when you clean up the seats. The cutting action is not going to grow a chip like drilling out a piece of thick soft metal. The cast iron chips rather that cuts so the pieces are soo small they wont hurt the cylinders. If you apply grease to fill the cutter flutes it will collect most if not all the chips. The torque on the injectors is 35 lbs and please use anti sieze on the threads only. No need to apply any to the body or for sure not the copper gasket either. Reason the lines got hot is those injectors were hanging open and combustion heat was beginning to ruin the return line caps and surely it can ruin the pump if it reaches that far back up the lines. This is rare but it has happened. What injectors are you installing. Recommends are the Delphi Bb codes for best all around mileage and hp.

nic55kel

Nic55kel
Reaction score
Not my work. Although even if it were I would never admit to that.
I bought the truck last summer and it has been a project since.
I have put about 3000 miles on it. Had to change out the rad and replace thermostat and it has been on a couple of 300 mile road trips. No problem but not as good on fuel as I thought it should be. Now I see why.
I bought a set of new Delphi BB from Accurate Diesel. Good price and fast shipping.
I will definitely be getting a pump from Conestoga at some point but the existing pump starts easily when hot so I can wait a bit for that.
Just want to get it running right and see what it can do when in proper running order.
I have a pre sidewinder Banks that I will probably install but not until I feel truck is ready.
Flat for a hundred miles in every direction where I live so easy to live with N/A.
Took a picture of (it was actually #6) nozzle that is still to be removed.
It looks really bad.
Will definitely take my time (luckily not a daily driver) and hopefully not touch the injectors again for 50,000 miles.

Attachments

• Diesel2 001.JPG
    Diesel2 001.JPG
    717.2 KB · Views: 148

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some members come posting horrible pics of what a former owner has done thinking they "repaired" these engines. Your pics are great too. I can actually see what you want others to see. Nothing worse than a blurred pic and a member asking for help with an issue.

nic55kel

Nic55kel
Reaction score
I am really fighting with that #6 nozzle stuck in the head.
I ground of the body and screwed it back on the nozzle but it is solid
Does not budge when I pry on it.
I am letting it sit with penetrating oil on it.
Anyone know what is a good solvent for carbon?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Barbesol shaving cream will eat some carbon.
You may try the 50/50 atf/acetone mix.
Will it twist at all?
If you put the pintle and spring back in, maybe try cranking it over?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

nic55kel

Nic55kel
Reaction score
It will twist but it just goes solid when I pry upwards on it.
I will let it soak in ATF/acetone overnight and come up with some kind of slide hammer for tomorrow.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you could twist and pull, I bet you could get it.
Though a slide hammer is a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i bet a great amount of the idi's left on the road are in a state of tune with injectors that look like this......older than god's dog.:D
she's gunna run like she hasn't run in years.don't worry about new,reman,codes,matched etc.just whatever you can afford every 100k will be decent enough compared to letting 'em go as long as the previous owners did lol.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you get a slide hammer adapter onto that machined/ground injector top? I have one special made for this purpose that allows me to thread a slide hammer into my injector puller and slide hammer out my part.

U could use some redi rod and a heavy weight.

nic55kel

Nic55kel
Reaction score
Patience pays off.
Let it soak overnight with various fluids on it.
This morning worked it for about 5 minutes and it pried out fairly easily.
Now for the cleaning.
Still have a couple of coppers stuck in the bottom.
I will try more patience and soaking.
Will keep you posted on progress.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you got the broken piece out. As for the stuck copper gaskets do this. Take a new or used gasket and grind a flat blade screwdriver to just fit with some interference in the center hole. Tap it into the stuck gasket and twist it free. Then lift it out. Be careful you don't get the screwdriver stuck in the head and snap it off.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size ready rod btw?

It is up to you, what you can drill/tap the darn injector top for. I have mine set to same thread as a Vice Grip and use my Vice Grip adapter for my slide hammer, thread it in, thread onto slide hammer and BAM that beach is out!

I'm sure you'll find some thread of my adapter some where with tons of pictures ;) if you search!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a cool idea. Have to keep that one in my back pocket. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin