Injection punmp

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took me a bit to figure out how to refute this, but here goes: Perhaps you'll get a little more fuel off idle(when you have no boost anyway), but by 2500 RPM when you are nearing torque/HP peak, you are limited by the amount of fuel that can jump across the gap and into the fill ports in the rotor. This is not enough to max out the full plunger depth, even with the metering valve fully open. This is why the fuel curves always drop off higher in tue rev range, and the big difference with the RD2-110, which has more fill ports.
I suspect that(if the difference is even measurable), a RD2-90 might produce more smoke at idle when you hammer it on it, but peak HP will be very similar.
Go ahead and refute this. Find me charts and numbers, dyno sheets etc. I'm willing to be wrong, I just haven't seen the evidence for it.
Call Justin and ask how much fuel a fuel screw maxed out pump will make on the test bench and ask him what adjustment he makes for the 90.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut a piece out of a 16mm for the injection lines on the pump and that made life a lot easier. Large enough for the wrench to slide over the line

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds a lot harder than it really is. It really does wake an engine up as I did the same thing. Unfortunately the aforementioned o-ring bit me but it ran great for a while until that started causing problems. My engine was a lot louder after replacing the pump and injectors. So much so that I turned it off immediately after it started because I thought something was wrong. After thoroughly checking everything again I started it back up and it was fine just quite a bit louder. My injectors were pretty bad though as my engine would run pretty hot before I changed them.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds a lot harder than it really is. It really does wake an engine up as I did the same thing. Unfortunately the aforementioned o-ring bit me but it ran great for a while until that started causing problems. My engine was a lot louder after replacing the pump and injectors. So much so that I turned it off immediately after it started because I thought something was wrong. After thoroughly checking everything again I started it back up and it was fine just quite a bit louder. My injectors were pretty bad though as my engine would run pretty hot before I changed them.
This is because of timing. New ip+injectors will have more advanced timing (at the same spot when installed) than the old, worn out ones. This is why you need to properly time the engine after replacing stuff.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Macrobb. Not that I disagree with you about properly timing a vehicle however in my case I don't think there were any issues as the truck ran significantly better with little or no smoke. Actually pretty much everything about the truck was pretty good except the turbo which lead me down a garden path of thorns and fun but that's a whole other story.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As Macrobb would say, if there's not much smoke, then you have room to turn up your fuel and experiment with it a little bit.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now the truck is sitting. I'm hoping to get it back up and running here in the next couple months. While it was sitting one of the return lines must have cracked and the last time I ran it I think I got a siphon action because I when I tried to start it the next time it didn't start. Usually it would start after a couple seconds of cranking and it didn't. I ordered a new return line kit but haven't taken the time to install it yet as other tasks took priority. Once I get it running and get a properly sized turbo on it then I will worry about cranking up the fuel, so it might be a while.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Justin and ask how much fuel a fuel screw maxed out pump will make on the test bench and ask him what adjustment he makes for the 90.
I'm going by dyno numbers at this point - it's very easy to say "X makes 100 ccs of fuel", but a much harder thing saying that that 100 ccs of fuel will become, say, 240 HP at the wheels.
Here's an older topic about the pumps: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1342155-some-dyno-numbers-and-turbo-info-5.html
Basically, what he found was that a '90 pump with a stock-type turbo will only end up pushing around 200 RWHP. Now, he's got a few refinements into it by now, sure. Count 220, maby.
...I got 200 with a stock pump, 8 psi of boost out of a Banks turbo with a massive boost leak. Now, it's about 25% faster and maxes the 15-psi boost gauge, but I won't have it on the dyno until September.
I figure if a RD2-90 could really push some good power(out of a stock-type setup), I'd have heard about it by now.

I will call Justin when I can - I've tried to call him a few times over the past few months to get some more Stage 1 injectors, but never could get ahold of him. Phone calls went to voicemail, emails went unanswered.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will call Justin when I can - I've tried to call him a few times over the past few months to get some more Stage 1 injectors, but never could get ahold of him. Phone calls went to voicemail, emails went unanswered.

I've spent some time looking at his website. While it looks like he's producing some nice stuff and he does have folks singing his praise, it's comments like the one above that keep me from doing business with him. Either you're in business or not. If you are, the customer is king and you have to be prompt and polite. I very much appreciate the difficulties of a one man, second job operation. I understand that my order/work may take a very long time. If you communicate and are upfront about it, it's my decision and if I have a problem after the fact, we'll bad on me. Nonetheless, IMHO if you don't have the ability to treat your customers well and communicate, well you've got serous problems and more than likely, and overblown sense of self importance...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going by dyno numbers at this point - it's very easy to say "X makes 100 ccs of fuel", but a much harder thing saying that that 100 ccs of fuel will become, say, 240 HP at the wheels.
Here's an older topic about the pumps: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1342155-some-dyno-numbers-and-turbo-info-5.html
Basically, what he found was that a '90 pump with a stock-type turbo will only end up pushing around 200 RWHP. Now, he's got a few refinements into it by now, sure. Count 220, maby.
...I got 200 with a stock pump, 8 psi of boost out of a Banks turbo with a massive boost leak. Now, it's about 25% faster and maxes the 15-psi boost gauge, but I won't have it on the dyno until September.
I figure if a RD2-90 could really push some good power(out of a stock-type setup), I'd have heard about it by now.

Read up on the my shop truck thread, I have a stock 093 setup and my big 2 plunger pump made 27 psi the first day out. I can’t give you any dyno numbers yet since it’s only been running a few hundred miles and I want to get a good 1k miles in before I go really pushing the current setup. But soon I’ll have numbers with that setup, then with an upgraded turbo, then with a 4 plunger pump, then with compounds.

culver21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be worth having my pump and injectors rebuilt or buying new ones and turning my old ones in as a core?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know about Russ (Typ4), but I believe that Justin and Mel both just take yours as cores.

KCMeyer

Reaction score
If you have a Mac guy that makes his rounds they have a IDI pump wrench that is thin and has the right bends. They really aren't too high considering it's Mac.