Injection pump timing tools

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for some ip timing tools for a while now and was wondering if this one will work http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=FERV765-01 ? Also what other parts/tools do I need to make this work? Will any timing light work? Or are there any other timing tools that are recommended? Money is a little tight right now but I would be able to spend up to $250 and wanted to get something decent. I just don't see why it would cost $90 at the local Ford, and figured it would be money ahead to just buy one. I have no clue :confused: about timing a diesel so any help is appreciated;Sweet .

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Best thing is to find someone with a timing meter and have them come help you with it, or buy one. I've never tried a timing light but dont think it will work well.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That Ferret unit works great. I have one and love it, Timing a diesel couldn't be easier. You will need an advance type timing light to work with it ( the same kind you need for any modern gas burner ) that has an advance adjustment knob on the end. You set the knob for the desired advance btdc and the light will flash when the line on the crank pulley crosses the O mark when timed properly at roughly 8.5 deg btdc @ 2000 rpm. You have to turn the engine off to adjust the pump, do not turn the pump while running.

Considering some of the contraptions I have for timing other oddball diesels, these things make timing a diesel child's play.

-------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Will this timing light work with the Ferret Instruments V765-01 Diesel Injection Detector http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EQUU...011QQitemZ320180539908QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW .

Should work fine.
That's a pretty **** timing light. Nice having a tach readout right on the thing in case your helper is having trouble holding the correct RPMs

I've just got an old craftsman advance light with a dial on the back that I use with mine. Now I want one of those fancy ones :D
----------Robert

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you just measure over yo the left of the mark about 1/2 inch ( calculate to be exact ) and use a std inductive timing light and the vehicles tach ?

That Ferret unit works great. I have one and love it, Timing a diesel couldn't be easier. You will need an advance type timing light to work with it ( the same kind you need for any modern gas burner ) that has an advance adjustment knob on the end. You set the knob for the desired advance btdc and the light will flash when the line on the crank pulley crosses the O mark when timed properly at roughly 8.5 deg btdc @ 2000 rpm. You have to turn the engine off to adjust the pump, do not turn the pump while running.

Considering some of the contraptions I have for timing other oddball diesels, these things make timing a diesel child's play.

-------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Could you just measure over yo the left of the mark about 1/2 inch ( calculate to be exact ) and use a std inductive timing light and the vehicles tach ?

If you get the mark in the right place, it would work. A degree wheel
would come in real handy there.

-------Robert

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Robert ;Sweet . I will probably have more questions to ask you when I do get the truck back together enough to time it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online