injection pump pressures

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
Well once again i cant take no for an answer. So when people told me i couldent test to see if it was my IP failing my little brain started turning. and wala i figured it out. however i couldent find the running pressure of my IP anywhere online. So does anyone know this?
my pressures are.
1200 psi at idle
1800 at 3000rpm
You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think they should be higher than that. A new set of BB code injectors are normally shimmed so they pop at 1800-1900 psi. A new set of G code injectors are set to 2200-2300 psi. It sounds like your injectors and possibly your pump is getting tired.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That is low. Are you sure that gauge is correct. Just a note about the pump pressure. You and I will never know what the idle or running pressure is because we do not have the $75,000.00 machine to test it on like Mel does. Heres the deal. No matter what, The pressures you are seeing are what the injector is allowing you to see. The injector pops open at a given pressure. You might dead head that injector line and see what you get but.. Be very careful. These pumps are capable of nearly 5000 lbs of pressure. Nice idea but not telling you much more than that one injector pop pressure at a given rpm.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. and these are all new injectors. so its sounding like more of an injection pump problem?
and yes gauge is recently calibrated
dand while we are on topic i am stuck on two options. the cheaper BWd pump or the Delphi pump. is the Bwd good quality. anyone ever have any experiance?

Last edited:

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is low. Are you sure that gauge is correct. Just a note about the pump pressure. You and I will never know what the idle or running pressure is because we do not have the $75,000.00 machine to test it on like Mel does. Heres the deal. No matter what, The pressures you are seeing are what the injector is allowing you to see. The injector pops open at a given pressure. You might dead head that injector line and see what you get but.. Be very careful. These pumps are capable of nearly 5000 lbs of pressure. Nice idea but not telling you much more than that one injector pop pressure at a given rpm.

I thought that if you dead head a line, like a stuck shut injector, it causes the input shaft in the ip to sheer? I maybe wrong on this but I thought I remember reading about it somewhere.

To truckmark

Do you have a check valve in line with your gauge? The fuel pulse would be fairly quick and the gauge maybe too slow to register the full pressure at idle?
For a replacement IP go with Mel, typ44 or idiperformace, your guaranteed a good working performance quality pump

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A year ago we tried a BWD pump. Pep Boys had them for $500.00, and I had a 25% off coupon. What is not to love? That was a big mistake. The first one we received had horrible heat soak issues. We took that one off and returned it for another one. It sprayed fuel from a crack near the plunger. We returned the BWD, and purchased one from a reputable rebuilder that happened to be located 20 miles from us, and we never looked back. People had said that these BWDs were rebuilt by Stanadyne, but given the quality of these two, I find that suspect.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
thanks for the helpful hints. however i needed this pump yesterday so i am looking for more of store baught pump. so the delphi sounds like the beterr option. and being in southern michigan. would something like the acrtic package be a good investment?
and btw my 7.3l is a stock non turbo

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. and these are all new injectors. so its sounding like more of an injection pump problem?
and yes gauge is recently calibrated
dand while we are on topic i am stuck on two options. the cheaper BWd pump or the Delphi pump. is the Bwd good quality. anyone ever have any experiance?
As mentioned you are not truly testing pump pressure just the single injector pop pressure.

Thus you are not really further ahead, so riddle me this....How many miles on the injectors, where are they from? When you got them did they match/pop test them? Are they NEW or rebuilt?

I'd suggest getting them Pop tested and matched...thats a starting point.

As for IP, Mel at www.connestogadiesel.com on East coat Russ or Typ4 on West coast, There is also Justin from IDIperformance.com as well others here have also had good results with other pumps from different pump rebuilder/suppliers.

Check out hall of shame prior to purchasing from a vendor, if they are in there the is a reason!

JM2CW

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
thanks. however i do not have a pop tester but the seem to be good on first start up. after any heat from the first start up or a hot summer day the truck starts hard. i figured the first good start up meeant the injectors were at least "ok" and the ip couldent keep up when it got warm.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
From what you posted about hard starts after the first. I'd say your pump is shot. By chance is the pump painted?? If so that usually indicates the "rebuilder" is hiding something. Usually some ebay rebuilt pumps are test run and if they pass a low quality test they are painted and sold as rebuilt. Without mentioning a rebuilder name I will suggest not buying from a rebuilder in Pensacola Florida because of whats been mentioned. A cheap pump is just that. they are many times not rebuilt but they do look good painted. I got stung like that once so I'm speaking from first hand experience. Not hearsay information. Typ4, Mel at Conestoga are the places that are well known to give you more than what you pay for. Being in a hurry can be a disaster in the end and I truly understand how money talks. We all look for bargains and sometimes we find them. They are shared here all the time. To the original poster. You came here with great information and this site offers as much help as you need. Our big deal is the help is free and worthy. See if thats offered on the street or a dealer. This forum has seen it all and done it all. Not many know more than this collective. I think it would be a great idea if some of the members here did the same pressure set up like you did on their test bed engines. Knowing the quality of the pump and injectors will be important. A just pop tested injector is a really good idea.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
From what you posted about hard starts after the first. I'd say your pump is shot. By chance is the pump painted?? If so that usually indicates the "rebuilder" is hiding something. Usually some ebay rebuilt pumps are test run and if they pass a low quality test they are painted and sold as rebuilt. Without mentioning a rebuilder name I will suggest not buying from a rebuilder in Pensacola Florida because of whats been mentioned. A cheap pump is just that. they are many times not rebuilt but they do look good painted. I got stung like that once so I'm speaking from first hand experience. Not hearsay information. Typ4, Mel at Conestoga are the places that are well known to give you more than what you pay for. Being in a hurry can be a disaster in the end and I truly understand how money talks. We all look for bargains and sometimes we find them. They are shared here all the time. To the original poster. You came here with great information and this site offers as much help as you need. Our big deal is the help is free and worthy. See if thats offered on the street or a dealer. This forum has seen it all and done it all. Not many know more than this collective. I think it would be a great idea if some of the members here did the same pressure set up like you did on their test bed engines. Knowing the quality of the pump and injectors will be important. A just pop tested injector is a really good idea.

thanks. and yes being a hurry and really crush things and working 60 hours a week keeps me from being able to call mel seeing as i work before and past his hours lol. however i have been instructed against a rebuilt bwd from napa. so loooks like i will be getting a delphi if more ressearch doesnt show anything else thanks for the help

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks. and yes being a hurry and really crush things and working 60 hours a week keeps me from being able to call mel seeing as i work before and past his hours lol. however i have been instructed against a rebuilt bwd from napa. so loooks like i will be getting a delphi if more ressearch doesnt show anything else thanks for the help

Mel has a website....send an email...those work 24/7 LOL Might be worth while!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online