I'm new, go easy on me.

bump it

Reaction score
I just picked up a 92 f 350 dually with the 7.3 normally aspirated diesel. It runs fine but I live at 7000 ft and drive passes of 10,000 ft or more on a regular basis. I happen to have a complete 94 7.3 turbo with 5 sp and xfer case. I intend to swap that in. My questions are:

1. Shouldn't this be a fairly direct swap?

2. Is there anything I need to be aware of and what should I replace on the assembly before I stuff it in the truck besides the clutch?

3. Is there anything I can do to make more power. Do you reccomend any intake products and exhaust products that you have had good luck with? I would prefer the truck to not be loud. I already have a dump truck for that.

4. What about timing on the injection pump?

5. What is the old driveline worth? The syncro seems to be out of 4th gear on the tranny. Wanna buy the driveline?

6. I do have the "cavatation" article from this forum. Very interesting. Also I have a full shop with a vehicle lift etc.

Thanks for your time and info.

Last edited:

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well being that in 95 became powerstrokes i would assume thats what your wanting to swap.
you will need all the engine wiring comp exc exc
if it was me i would put in a new CPS and IPC
also a rear main seal and anyother gaskets because it will be way easier with thhe engine out
possibly new fuel pump exc if its quite old
maby water pump exc
their technically is no injection pump its a HUEI system that uses a high pressure oil pump to pressurize the fuel for injection
the older idi has a IJ pump that timing can be adjusted
if your going for some performance i would make an intake and get a new down pipe
an engine is just an air pump so the more air you get in and out the more power u can make
for the PSD i would get a dp tuner
driveline depends on how much someone is willing to pay at least thats how i look at it

and good luck i hope this helps u out keep us posted

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: i didnt realize the year.

Sounds like you are in a good place. I swap should be more or less strait forward. That turbo is going to help you out a lot.

First thing you need to do is place your trucks specs in your signature. So we know what tranny u have, if your 2wd or what.

Someone else will talk about the tranny swap.

bump it

Reaction score
Correction

EDIT: i didnt realize the year.

Sounds like you are in a good place. I swap should be more or less strait forward. That turbo is going to help you out a lot.

First thing you need to do is place your trucks specs in your signature. So we know what tranny u have, if your 2wd or what.

Someone else will talk about the tranny swap.

Sorry..............the replacement engine is a 94. It is not a powerstroke.
How can you answer my questions if I don't give you the correct information?! Sorry about that.

The truck is a 4wd. 5sp.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have a 4wd 5 speed and you have a 7.3L IDI turbo with a 5 speed and a transfer case?

If so you could just swap the turbo stuff over onto your current engine, but an engine swap would be easy. Pull the old one out and place the new one in, plug n play.

For mods just a free flowing exhause something 3" or bigger. Napa has a 4in tail pipe that is pretty cheap. And you could just run piping from the downpipe back. Is that turbo a ford factory turbo?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I would research both the powerstroke and the IDI motor before you decide what you do. The powerstroke will definitely give you the power you need. What you will not get is the easy to work on layout and simplicity of an IDI. Is the powerstroke driveable? If you are happy with the power of a stock PS, the IDI can easily make that power with a turbo. I would say that selling the powerstroke and putting that money into a turbo would be your easiest route. You are dealing with the same bodystyle truck, what are you looking for? I would consider selling everything and just getting what you want. I would put the effort of swapping the PS into a 60's or 70's truck, not the same body style though, Ford already did that for me in 95, 96 and 97. Keep in mind I am married with 4 kids. If I was single and 20, my views would have been different. Time was plentiful back then!!! Good luck with the decision you make.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A hypermax cowl induction will help with the cold air intake. At that altitude, you need all the air you can get. Base timing with the new fuel should be about 9.7 deg BTDC by the pulse method, at that altitude, closer to 10 would probably be more effective, do not exceed 10.5 or you get into glow plug eating territory, and you will likely want to turn the fuel screw down on the pump, unless you know for a fact that it has a high altitude pump. Pump adjustment instructions here Turning it down about one flat ought to thin it out enough , but if it still smokes too much and bogs down, back it off some more. Even with the turbo on, the air is so thin at that altitude you will need to back the fuel down for it to run decent.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Ok, I was typing away while you posted the edit.:dunno In this case, I would find a compression tester and test both motors. Use best motor if there is a huge difference between the two. Bolt the turbo onto the keeper, install boost and pyro gauges, turn pump up, smile on your first test drive.:cheers: Maybe I'm wrong on turning up the pump, I'm a low altitude flatlander, my apologies.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever configuration you end up with, it would be well worth the time and money to refresh the fuel injection system with a new pump and injectors, and a fresh set of glow plugs. Doing it now while your pulling motors will be much easier, and with all those parts refreshed you won't have to worry about problems cropping up for many years. Getting it timed may be the challenge, but make it a top priority.

bump it

Reaction score
Whatever configuration you end up with, it would be well worth the time and money to refresh the fuel injection system with a new pump and injectors, and a fresh set of glow plugs. Doing it now while your pulling motors will be much easier, and with all those parts refreshed you won't have to worry about problems cropping up for many years. Getting it timed may be the challenge, but make it a top priority.

I do intend to replace the injectors and pump and return lines. I will also have it timed. We are at such high elevation here it only makes sense. Glow plugs are new.

Thanks everybody for a great source of information.!! This forum rocks.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pm mell and type 4 about their products a moose pump will do wonders up there and a good set of pop tested injectors is a must

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can buy a ferret here for about $180 and with that and a regular inductive advance type automotive timing light, you can time the thing yourself. If you plan on keeping the truck it is a wortwhile investment. Most shops will charge near that much to "time" your engine and most of them don't even own the tools to do it. They will just "time" it by ear, which is not timing it at all, or if they do time it, they will go by the factory original 8.5 deg + or - 2 deg which could be 6.5 deg and they'd call it good, which at that altitude on the new ULSD fuel would have you running alongside pushing. High altitude has always required an increase in injection timing, and with the new ULSD fuel they don't run worth a hoot at sea level at the factory specs, so you would be doing yourself a favour to purchase the tool and have it handy, that way any time you have to disturb the pump, you are all set ;Sweet