I'm going to have FUN this weekend!!

DeadMan

Reaction score
A short while ago I burned up my trans.. I figured because I didn't have a whole lot of time, I would get a couple of prices for a rebuild (built for towing) and save myself the hassle.. I wasn't impressed with the prices I received. Anywhere from $2700 for a stock rebuild to almost $6000 (WHAT?!!) for one with all the goodies..

Well, being the cheap ******* I am, I'll do it myself!! I went online and ordered a PILE of parts (I will list what they are later) for a mere $1600.. A lot better than what I was quoted earlier!

On to the pics!

You must be registered for see images attach

I can't imagine trying to pull this beast out with a couple of floor jacks! Use the right tools guys!

Think there might be a problem here? Yes, the reason for no gears.. Are converters supposed to rattle when you shake them?

Derale pan and cooler, Alto frictions/steals, Tugger kit, Triple disc converter, '95 pump.....

And this!

Now I need a little help. I would love to find a wiring diagram/pinout for the factory trans controller. If anyone has this, please let me know.

Thanks!
Ron

jasonhughes

Reaction score
I got a 6k price quote for the e4od rebuild on my bronco over here in the bay area too. Went the same route you did. Took a couple tried but finally got it together and working. Good luck to you on the rebuold man! Make sure to put everything in order that you take out and put everything in the same way. Wish I had done that my first time...

What transgo kit number is that?

DeadMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I will try to get a hold of Towcat and LCAM tomorrow.. Jason, its the HD2 kit.

gandalf

Reaction score
Take lots of pictures. We all love those pics.;Sweet Pictures will also help you put things back together.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Something about the triple dic converter you need to know. If your flexplate is the heavy cast iron one it probably wont fit. you need the flexplate thats the stamped steel with the welded starter gear to it. That plate has the crank spacer too which is no longer made or sold anywhere. If anyone need the spaver I have two of them or contact BTS in Arkansas. Brian has them madecustom for his E4OD trans. I have one on my truck. The heavy cast iron flexplate is not large enough to house the converter. When I got my BTS and the triple disc converter I tried a test fit outside the engine. It clearly would not fit.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the outer ring of the torque convertor is burned to a crisp.
you also are "assuming" your hard parts are in good shape. if your torque convertor is fried, chances are the internals are done too. the drums and the planetaries will cost some $$$.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Oooo, dang, DeadMan. Thinkin' Towcat's right. How was that fluid looking/smelling?

Actually glad my numerous engine problems have kept me from any real towing. Will be installing a trans temp gauge at my next trans service.

Even though my travel trailer GVWR is 4,200, I think I'll look into a larger aftermarket cooler, too. Good luck! And keep us posted!

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something about the triple dic converter you need to know. If your flexplate is the heavy cast iron one it probably wont fit. you need the flexplate thats the stamped steel with the welded starter gear to it. That plate has the crank spacer too which is no longer made or sold anywhere. If anyone need the spaver I have two of them or contact BTS in Arkansas. Brian has them madecustom for his E4OD trans. I have one on my truck. The heavy cast iron flexplate is not large enough to house the converter. When I got my BTS and the triple disc converter I tried a test fit outside the engine. It clearly would not fit.

I had the cast iron flywheel and my tc fit fine... Not sure what brand it was though :dunno

DeadMan

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! Where to start,... the fluid wasn't too bad, inspection during teardown didn't show anything other than normal wear, cleaning was easy (there were three of us cleaning.. its good to have friends!) assembly and install went well... and then there was installing the controller... it took me an hour to figure out I had the wrong install manual in the box :)

We got done about 7:30 an took her out for a run. Not bad,.. I know there is break in time, and I have to play with the programming a bit, but all in all, I'm pleased.

Oh,.. The bad news (isn't there always some?), although we were making sure to take pics, my buddy handed the camera to his grandson for "safe keeping".... Nuff said..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ruger. Did you install a triple disc converter with your cast iron flywheel flexplate setup. Mine was not going to fit just like Brian told me. But I had to see for myself. So what did the gradson do to the camers. Erase all the pics or drop it in some oil or water.... Time to get a rope or belt and let someone have it like you mean it. How young was the child handling the camrea for safe keeping.. Maybe the older person is to blame for the loss of pics.. We need answers cause we don't have no stinken pictures.. We need some stinken pictures... We got to have em baby...:eek:LOL

DeadMan

Reaction score
Devon, It was sooo easy.... with two other mechanics to help:D. icanfixall, grandpa was thoroughly reamed for handing the (my wife's brand new) camera TO A THREE YEAR OLD!!.. But here it is sunday afternoon and he already dropped off a replacement, so I can't stay too mad at him.. Still don't know how the kid screwed it up:backoff

Oh, I think I forgot to add earlier, my truck already had the stamped steel flexplate.