ignition switch to magnetic start switch ?

gendoc

Reaction score
is there an assist relay in that circuit ?

i lost the 12v+ to the coil on the mag switch located on the RH fender well when i operate the ignition to start.
checked the ign switch output and all is good, im wondering if there is an assist relay
somewhere or a fuse link......i cant find either.
i installed a start switch directly the to the mag switch and it has been working for 6-8 years, i would like to fix this problem.
are there any wiring diagrams for a 94 f250 7.3l idi/na on here ?
thanks folks awesome site here!:rock:

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I had the same problem over the summer, and I ended up using a push button switch like you. I spent weeks tracing wires, and I couldn't find anything wrong. All the fusible links checked out, and I couldn't find any burnt wires. I honestly think the only way to fix it is to run a new wire from the ignition switch to starter solenoid on the fender well, which is basically the same as using the pushbutton, but you are using the ignition switch instead. The diagram below is from @TNBrett , and I color coded the second picture hence all the squiggly lines, Lol. They are from the thread when I was going through this problem
You must be registered for see images attach
There is nothing that I know of between the starter switch and the starter solenoid, but being that your truck is an OBS and mine is a bricknose, this may be inaccurate. I hope this is of some help.

Rock

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it depends, but your truck should have either a clutch safety switch if it’s a manual transmission, or a neutral safety switch if automatic. Also, if it’s an automatic, the plug for the clutch safety switch should be there, but a jumper will be connected in lieu of an actual switch. Start at the ignition switch I believe the wire you’re looking for is red with a blue stripe. Using a test light or a multi meter, check for 12v with the key in the start position, if not the switch or the linkage to it is the problem. If the switch is good, move on to the clutch safety switch. There are 4 wires two red with blue stripes, and two that are green maybe iirc. The green ones are for cruise control cancel. The red w/ blue will be connected together when the clutch is depressed, or there will be a jumper connected which ties them together. From there, it’s on to the start solenoid on the fender if it’s a manual, or to the shift range switch on the transmission if it’s an auto. That switch should be about like the clutch switch. It will make contact between two red wires w/ blue stripes when the trans is in neutral or park. Then from there to the solenoid at the fender, still red w/ blue stripe.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See section 21 here. This is from a 25 yr old Haynes manual. Unfortunately this circuit is not shown on any of their diagrams.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
See section 21 here. This is from a 25 yr old Haynes manual. Unfortunately this circuit is not shown on any of their diagrams.

I also have the Haynes manual, but mine doesn't list that much of the electrical. I wish it did. Also I just realized it was @Randy Bush that I got those diagrams from. My mistake

Rock

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haynes manuals make it harder for people to try and troubleshoot electrical problems as they leave out important details and redraw them all weird.

Heres the ford version of the starting system, the connector numbers are really helpful for identifying where things are in the truck, for example c202 is the big firewall plug, anything above c202 is in the cab and anything below is in the engine bay area.

c103 is a plug in the engine bay by the fuse box that has the transmission harness plug into it, it’s a square, black, 16 position plug that the starter wire goes through and comes back out. If you have a automatic it goes to the neutral safety switch, if standard it’s a short piece of wire in a loop to connect the two wires.

gendoc

Reaction score
Haynes manuals make it harder for people to try and troubleshoot electrical problems as they leave out important details and redraw them all weird.

Heres the ford version of the starting system, the connector numbers are really helpful for identifying where things are in the truck, for example c202 is the big firewall plug, anything above c202 is in the cab and anything below is in the engine bay area.

c103 is a plug in the engine bay by the fuse box that has the transmission harness plug into it, it’s a square, black, 16 position plug that the starter wire goes through and comes back out. If you have a automatic it goes to the neutral safety switch, if standard it’s a short piece of wire in a loop to connect the two wires.

VERY MUCH APPRECIATED !!