Ignition replacement.. how the heck do you do it??

trekbkr03

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a newbie here but you all came highly recommended off of one of my other 4x4 forums. I have a 99 F-250 SD 7.3L 4x4 with automatic transmission. I bought this after another guy had laid it into a ditch. I am doing most of the body work myself, but I have run into a few quarky problems. 1st. When batteries are connected all the running lights and interior gizmos stay on (radio etc..)
This burned up my starter celanoid and my starter because it was I guess shorting out and acting as if it were in the ignition position. It burned up my starter and I am getting mine rebuilt right now. BUT in order for me to have this thing mobile in a week or two I need to get my ignition replaced I guess??
I have never replaced the ignition on one of these, any suggestions or hints as to how to go about it? Anything in particular I should look for?

This truck was laid into a ditch on the drivers side, but how it messed with the ignition I have no idea. Is this a common problem in these fords or is this just some sort of anomoly? Thanks again guys and hope to have some helpful hints. You can shoot me an email if you want at [email protected] or you can feel free to call me at (615)-390-6797 THANKS!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the ignition cylinder feel like it is messed up? Can you get the key into it and turn it freely? I'd be looking for a short somewhere underhood/underdash were it me. Possibly the GEM module.

trekbkr03

Reaction score
yea it turns freely with no probs, but heres why I thought it was the ignition. when batteries are hooked up running lights and interior junk stays on & so does the ignition. It moves the starter in and acts as if it were getting ready to start and burns up my celanoid and my starter. The guy that rebuilds them for me figured it would be my ignition switch that did it because my wires were fried on my starter, it burned all the way through the rubber liner. So that was my hunch.... pardon my ignorance but I am new to the diesel world, what is the GEM module and where exactly is it located on these beasts?? Thanks for your help!

sassyrel

Reaction score
as 95 said--also--check the wiring under the hood carefully--that dont have some pinched together wires somewhere--which can lead to all sorts of headaches---from smashed sheet metal

trekbkr03

Reaction score
going out this afternoon after work and putting in a new starter and hopefully I'll get a new ignition switch in! hope this kicks my gremlins out!

SDEric

Reaction score
Well check the park plugs, while you're at it. A new ignition coil, and some wires ought to do the trick!

LOL Just kidding, sorry couldn't help it.

trekbkr03

Reaction score
OK! MY BUGS ARE GONNNEEEEEE!!!! knock on wood, replaced the ignition switch tonight and yes it was a breeze! Thanks guys! put a new celanoid in it and a new starter and she purs like a pissed off bull! Thanks again for all of your help, the ignition switch got rid of all of my gremlins, lights dont stay on, radio goes off....hats off for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance