If I didn't have BAD luck, I would have no luck

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here it is, I blew up a tranny on my 94 idi factory turbo. Searching around for a shop to rebuild it, or find one that works in a wreaking yard or CL, I found an 1990 350 CC 7.3 N/A in great shape, well heck, Its the same price as a rebuild tranny and a CC 4x4 and its super clean. Drove the 3.5 Hrs to look at it. and I am the new owner. Fast forward 4 days. Last night I was driving home, and felt what seemed like a surge and then the truck died at a stop light.:dunno The truck fired back up, I then switched the tanks to make somewhat shure its not a fuel issue. and the tranny seemed to be acting strange. Very surggy. I was hoping to at least fix my 94 before this one took a dump. The truck runs very very well, no smoke. and it has almost as much power as the 94 with the turbo. I am not shure what to do at this point. I now might have 2 idi trannys to fix. I am not to happy at the way my mind has been thinking lately.cookoo,cookoo. Maybe I should have just had the tranny rebuilt on the 94 and called it a day, The person selling the truck has had it 4 10 years and was very straight foward with me. He has not done much to it Ie pump,tranny, ect ect. and it rany fine for the past few days from Tahoe, to all over the place maybe 600 miles. I have not driven hard and am suspecting tranny problems, maybe you guys can set me straight, Could the truck die from the tranny (TC) or am I on the wrong path. Please help out a fellow Idi'er with some knowledge from the powers that be. I don't want 2 idis in the driveway with tranny probs. The truck made it home no problems and started fine this morning to move out of the way and was not acting up at all. I didn't drive it exept to move it so I could take the jeep to work. I will possibly drive it alittle tonight to see if I can figure it out again. Thanks for all the help Bernie.

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
I had surging issues and the torque converter was the problem. It was easy to figure out though after it scattered itself. :) I love my E4OD.:rolleyes:

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going to drive it any place drive it to the nearest tranny shop and have them pull the codes. I'm assuming it is an E4OD automatic. It should not stall though unless the torque converter is not unlocking when it should. By pulling the codes from the tranny that will rule out a tranny issue or what the issue is with the tranny. If it is a surging issue and stalling then it could be as simple as the fuel filter. Assuming it was not changed by you I would change that out first.

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not yet done anything to the truck yet, I normaly change out all filters and and oils, Its a 1990 and it does have overdrive, it shift way differen't then my 94. Very smooth The overdrive button is on the dash and its not flashing like a normal e40d would on the shifter. Is it possible to have some other tranny in there? C6?? I thought I was shure that c6's don't have the overdrive.Well I need to under there and see for myself again, I only did the pre buying checks, SCA strips, smelling the tranny fluid and a good once over. Would the e4od hold codes with no overdrive light flashing? Thanks for the help guys,

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
It's an e4od. Pre 92 they had the od button on the dash. And you are correct in that the C6 never had an od.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E4OD check list.

1. Check fluid level when HOT only. Overfill will cause erratic operation. Low/Nothing on the dip stick will cause the same thing.

2. Tach sensor must be operating.

3. Speedometer must indicate flawlessly.

4. TPS must be adjusted correctly, .9 to 1.4 volts in idle position, 3.5 to 4 volts at WOT.

5. Pull codes if any erratic shifting is evident. Flashing OD lite does not necessarily have to be flashing.

6. Don't drive it if you are in limp mode, only 2nd and reverse gears work. Driving will create high temps destroying clutches and fluid. Limp mode is only a safety to get the vehicle off the road.

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked everthing today, I also checked my fuel filter witch was a horrible mess, Two part filter, I could see what looked like h2o in the bottom of it, and rust on the top, I swapped in a new wix singe filter, filled with tranny fluid and changed it out. Truck fired right up, and went for a drive. Seems to be working great, zero problems shifting and running fine. I am not shure of the last tranny fluid change, but that will be next on the list. Any preforences (spelling) for a e4od tranny fluid,(lotts of miles) I don't mind using the good stuff because its a truck and I need it for work ect, ect. Thx

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said before, I just got the truck ( less than a week old ) I haven't had a chance to get dirty with it yet. I will change out the tranny fluid: well all fluids, but the tranny is my concern now. Looks like I have a leaky axle seal or caliper on the pass side also on the D-60 also.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
honestly if it was very "surgy" that sounds like fuel starvation to me. i have never had an automatic though. i think you did the right thing with the fuel filter change.

these trucks get funny when they starve for fuel and can get a burst of power even. from what i understand its because the fuel pressure (or vacuum) messes with the timing advance mechanism in the injection pump.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
honestly if it was very "surgy" that sounds like fuel starvation to me. i have never had an automatic though. i think you did the right thing with the fuel filter change.

these trucks get funny when they starve for fuel and can get a burst of power even. from what i understand its because the fuel pressure (or vacuum) messes with the timing advance mechanism in the injection pump.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
OK, it hasn't surged any more since you switched tanks except for a little shortly after you did it... You've put 600 miles on it and no more surges. Starts and runs great... I suspect that it sucked a little air at the end of that one tank, surged and died, you switched tanks and there was just enough fuel to restart it, but still some bubbles in the line which caused a little surging for a little while afterwards, but then it cleared up and hasn't done it again... Sound about right? Runs good now, no more surges, right? Air in fuel, cause I haven't met a transmission yet that fixes itself..;Really:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online