If a 7.3 and 6.9 sounds the same why does a GM 6.2 and 6.5 sound way diffrent

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

If any 'flat rate' exists for doing repairs on something like that, I wonder what the list would look like... And then telling the customer they'll be paying with their first born ought'a make their day, not:mad:

Thank god I do my own work on my machines, I can't imagine how much it would of cost me to send the Motorhome to do head gaskets at a garage! -cuss

I did, head gaskets, injectors, glow plugs, glow controller and mechanical fuel pump. A friend of mine did the IP at a International dealer. No way I was getting into that in a van!!

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Its actually easy...after you take the front of the ambulance off, and remove all of the front accessories, the air cleaner, and knock the lines off.

SWS

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
well lets get down to the brass tax, anyone look into modifying a electronic 6.5 pump to work on our 6.9/7.3

caus the highest power made by a 6.5 is
Power / Torque (highest): 215 hp (160 kW) @ 3,200 rpm / 440 lb·ft (597 N·m) @ 1,800 rpm

witch is pretty dam good for a small 6.5L

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its actually easy...after you take the front of the ambulance off, and remove all of the front accessories, the air cleaner, and knock the lines off.

SWS
lemme know how you intend on removing the valve covers to get to the injectors. remember, I am talking PSD not IDI. "E" series.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a 4 roller pump on a 6.9 or 7.3 is a great idea, but this would be a DB4 mechanical not a DS. I think that the 6.9 has a "tinnier" diesel sound when compared to a 7.3 IDI. The 7.3 IDI sounds like a slightly quiter version of the 94-97 PSD to my ear. Of course timing has a lot to do with it, and the fueling curve is a little different on the 7.3 spec pumps, but my 6.9 has the 7.3 pump and still sounds a little tinny. I wonder sometimes if it isn't those bridge type rocker arms IH and Ford eventually phased out that makes the difference. To my ear all the 6.5s and 6.2s sounded just about alike, a real strange diesel sound, not bad/wrong, just would take some getting used to.