Jeoff
Reaction score
titel says it all

If a 7.3 and 6.9 sounds the same why does a GM 6.2 and 6.5 sound way different

anyone notice that cookoo

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean between a 6.2 and an electronic 6.5, the electronic engines always sound crisper/sharper due to different injection pressures and timing. Listen to a mechanical cummins vs a 24 valve electronic engine, WAY different. We used to have some mechanical n/a 6.5s at work, and you couldn't tell it wasn't a 6.2.
Travis..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you mean between a 6.2 and an electronic 6.5, the electronic engines always sound crisper/sharper due to different injection pressures and timing. Listen to a mechanical cummins vs a 24 valve electronic engine, WAY different. We used to have some mechanical n/a 6.5s at work, and you couldn't tell it wasn't a 6.2.
Travis..
+1;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You cab tell between a 7.3 and 6.9... Buy they are pretty close. That or my ears are playing tricks on me lol

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 and 6.5 are entirely different horses, like comparing a Detroit to a Cummins; whereas, the 7.3 is just a different version of the 6.9, with many interchangable parts. ;Sweet

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
The 6.2 and 6.5 are entirely different horses, like comparing a Detroit to a Cummins; whereas,

uhhhh i wouldn't go that fare, they are pretty close

from the coloradok5 fourm*

The 6.5L has a larger bore. The crankshafts are the same. The heads between the 6.2L and 6.5L are inter-changeable, although with some small differences.

You can think of the 6.5L as a bored out 6.2L, but it's really a bit more than that. You can't bore out a '82-91 6.2L to 6.5L dimensions...the block doesn't have thick enough cylinder walls. However, during the transition year of 1992, that particular 6.2L could be bored out to a 6.5L. Lee Swanger over at www.thedieselpage.com did that to a 6.2L block. You can read about that project here.

The 92-93 6.5L was turbocharged from the factory, except for some light duty n/a models, usually found in vans. They also utilized mechanical fuel injection pumps like our 6.2L's. In 1994, GM switched to an all electronic, computer-controlled injection pump.

After the 6.2L was phased out in 1992, people needing a new replacement diesel engine used a 6.5L, which is a direct bolt-in, and looks identical on the outside. They share all the same bolt patterns, so anything bolted to a 6.2L will bolt to a 6.5L, and vice versa.

Oh yeah, the turbo versions of the 6.5L came from the factory with re-designed heads for more power, and also had a special coating on the pistons to help reduce heat.

The 6.5L has a solid power advantage over the 6.2L in at least one respect: more cubic inches.

sounds allot like* a 6.9 vs 7.3

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
hmmmm ok thanks,

its there any advantage to that electronic crap on the GM pump

I wouldn't say they are crap just the right pieces put in the wrong places LOL

I loved the way my electronic 6.5 acted once I moved the pump mounted driver (the PMD overheating is responsible for 98% of the electronic problems on these engines). It sounded like a mini Duramax compared to a mechanical 6.2/6.5.

That said its hard to beat the simplicity of mechanical injection ;Sweet

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
The 6.2 and 6.5 are entirely different horses, the 7.3 is just a different version of the 6.9, with many interchangable parts. ;Sweet

Block to block the 6.2 is almost identical to the 6.5 depending on the year. Unlike the 6.9 and 7.3 GM changed little things year after year to "improve" their design but overall the 6.2 and 6.5 are very similar.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i bet you cant tell me that my engine is not a 7.3 cause it sounds just like my other 7.3 truck, and mines a 6.9,

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Block to block the 6.2 is almost identical to the 6.5 depending on the year. Unlike the 6.9 and 7.3 GM changed little things year after year to "improve" their design but overall the 6.2 and 6.5 are very similar.

if the wanted to improve it they would put a 6.9 or 7.3idi in itLOL;Sweet

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I can say that I dont ever want to work on an 83 6.2L powered camper converted van ever again.:puke:

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

If any 'flat rate' exists for doing repairs on something like that, I wonder what the list would look like... And then telling the customer they'll be paying with their first born ought'a make their day, not:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online