IDIT flexplate

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is today's project.. 8 new glow plugs.. fresh fuel.. and installed a known good injection pump. Also some fresh gasoline and a rag.. fresh can of starter fluid.. one way or another it's going to start today.if not..2 options..I have a good idit...or..my brother offered me this truck for a donor..plus..it's a 5 speed..

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... I'm going to point out that in my experience, bad injectors don't prevent an IDI from running.
You want to look elsewhere - Make sure you are getting fuel to and through the injectors(white smoke out the exhaust, no air bubbles at the bleed on the fuel filter). Then, glow plugs. Make sure they are staying on for at least 10 seconds with a cold engine. Only after those two are done should you assume something is wrong with the motor.
Yes they will, ive seen plenty of cases where a truck will sit with some water in the fuel which rusts up the pintles and keeps them from opening, which means no fuel getting into the prechamber even though there is fuel at the injectors when you crack open a line. Usually they will blow out the return line caps because all of the fuel is going out the return passages in the injectors, but if the injector o rings are fresh it wont leak.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those flexplates appear to be turbo plates. May want to check Brian's Truck shop in Arkansas. BTS does these E4OD trans that can't be ruined behind ANY idi engine.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had realized that the IDIT engine was so different,I would have just bought a non turbo and found a used turbo setup.But I heard the engine run before I bought it.Then this flexplate thing came up.They aren't just laying everywhere it appears.Then my brother offered up this powerstroke donor truck. I was just out there looking, it really doesn't appear to be that bad of a swap. Having the whole truck makes it easier if I were to go that route.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 80% of the engines I build are factory turbo IDIs, I much prefer them over non turbo engine for higher power builds. R&D makes new flexplates for the factory turbo for around 350 iirc

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thewes.. I'm not after big power. Although the turbo certainly helps. I have about all the clean dry crude oil that you could ever want to run. I have ran it on and off for years and these old idi engines. I recently built a pretty crude filter setup, although I have ran it unfiltered in the past with no problems. I pump a couple shallow wells every week.. one day I just dumped about 10 or 15 gallons in the tank and she ran just fine. I ran an old 6.2 suburban that way for about 2 years. diesel would pull about 900 on the pyro, on the crude I'm think it was around a 1000.I always wondered if it was delayed timing from the fuel mixture or the crude oil had more btu content. It is about the same color and consistency as diesel, but smells way better.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s likely a combination of the higher btu output and the viscosity difference. These pumps have a viscosity compensating metallic strip that is mistaking the thicker fluid for cold diesel. The pump advances timing and increases fueling to help warm the engine up although it’s already at temp, that’s why you see higher egts. Just a word of warning with running unfiltered oil, without proper filtration a lot of contaminates settle out of the fluid when it changes pressure in the pump, this makes a lot of crud accumulate around the housing which will lead to a higher rebuild cost down the road or possibly make your pump non rebuildable worst case scenario.

Comptech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is fresh from the wellhead..lol..I will snap a pic..almo almost honey clear..and I'm sure I'm not doing the injection system or pump any favors. But I have spares for everything on the property.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a risk/reward balance, if you are saving more than a grand in a years time by not having to pay for fuel, and you kill a pump in that time then you’re still ahead