IDI's are worthless

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
well being ran away, means it was floating valves since it couldt rev any higher. so u know there had to be some pistion to valve *********** going on there.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it might have been a run away motor and been burnin oil but, a full pull is a full pull.

I like how the crowd went wild when the smoke changed color and the R's went up. The crowd loves disaster when it adds to the excitement and actually makes the guy win! LOL

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
I guess the lesson from that video is that if you don't worry about reliability, and you can get the fuel and the air in there, you can really make it go. I want to know "the rest of the story" though. Did that engine survive the run? Headgaskets? Melt anything? We won't seem to ever know.

He was A OKAY, he tried pulling again in the next class just to get another hook in but, heavier sled and that already toasted clutch wasn't gonna have it. it started right up, he drove home, no issues. My "guess" is that it was the CDR just feeding oil in as fuel that had it screamin like that, even if the gov weights killed the fuel and even after he killed the ignition, it was still balls out. it was just a solid full pull in a true oil burner.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
The Halifax County Exhibition is in my old stompin grounds this week a'comin' and I AM entering it if the diesel class is a go this year. I am getting new tires next week, so I should have LOTS of bite in the dirt......and yes, it will be taped, ALL THE RUNS, so we can see what an IDI can do.

I am NOT a pull truck driver, but some of the places I have had big rigs and equipment and got back out safely should have taught me something.

We started a thread Abull....Me and BigRigTech plan on taking an IDI to it's limits.....turbo-ing it, studding it and boosting it till she pops. Going to run it on a dyno HOPEFULLY and when she's making good power, we are gonna drop it in my F250.......if the money all goes well and it survives the carnage!

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
The Halifax County Exhibition is in my old stompin grounds this week a'comin' and I AM entering it if the diesel class is a go this year. I am getting new tires next week, so I should have LOTS of bite in the dirt......and yes, it will be taped, ALL THE RUNS, so we can see what an IDI can do.

I am NOT a pull truck driver, but some of the places I have had big rigs and equipment and got back out safely should have taught me something.

We started a thread Abull....Me and BigRigTech plan on taking an IDI to it's limits.....turbo-ing it, studding it and boosting it till she pops. Going to run it on a dyno HOPEFULLY and when she's making good power, we are gonna drop it in my F250.......if the money all goes well and it survives the carnage!

well thats the only way to do it man!!!!! Right on! Word of advice is to get an electric water pump if you start spinning some rpms in it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get in touch with him? I'd be really interested to know how that engine faired after that incident. If nothing else it does sort of show that structurally it can deliver that type of power, but for how long is another question.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get in touch with him? I'd be really interested to know how that engine faired after that incident. If nothing else it does sort of show that structurally it can deliver that type of power, but for how long is another question.

That was maybe 6 years ago..............i wouldnt know where to look.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Ive been lookin for this video for a long time! Used to have it bookmarked that the link has long since died. Thanks Abull! Also failed CDRs get interesting in a hurry :eek:

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Ive been lookin for this video for a long time! Used to have it bookmarked that the link has long since died. Thanks Abull! Also failed CDRs get interesting in a hurry :eek:

during the sidewinder install my CDR seems to have vanished....:sly

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
well thats the only way to do it man!!!!! Right on! Word of advice is to get an electric water pump if you start spinning some rpms in it.

Just for the valve float issues.... I think I'll be leaving the pump set to 3300 RPM spec......maybe moose it later on down the road....this is all in the talking about it stages right now...but hopefully we will be putting poop on paper soon.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Oil is a form of fuel around here, a full pull it was...LOL

Agreed, I was just talking with Derrick at Outlaw Diesel the other day and I was telling him how motor oil has a much higher BTU content than #2. I was explaining that for a competition I would actually mix diesel, diesel clean and valvoline and run than as a fuel. For any of you out there that have never run WMO or atleast blended some oil into your fuel you are missing out on a treat.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I run it wether I want to or not, my old 7.3 didn't use her own oil but the 6.9 drinks her own blood by the quart....I guess all the black smoke is hiding the blue smoke...:D....I really need to get the stack on this thing for some video entertainment...:sly....I topped it off tonight as I have to haul 2yd's of gravel in the morning....Took 2 quarts...LOL

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Oh dang that IDI was tearing it up! ;Sweet

That 6.2 dually was pretty bad too. Props for entering a truck with that motor :D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the valve float issues.... I think I'll be leaving the pump set to 3300 RPM spec......
Only 3300? Come on man, mine is governed at 3800, and she actually still pulls pretty good at those engine speeds, just wish the darn slushbox would shift faster (she's pretty fast already, but not AOD-fast) so she don't flare at WOT...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online

No members online now.