IDI timing advance arm

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just installed a new ip in one of the trucks.....set it to the marks and it is acting way to advanced...actuate the arm and it starts sounding normal.

I am totally brain dead right now (and have spent the last month working on complex japanere FWD fuel injected crap)...what am i missing?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
just installed a new ip in one of the trucks.....set it to the marks and it is acting way to advanced...actuate the arm and it starts sounding normal.

I am totally brain dead right now (and have spent the last month working on complex japanere FWD fuel injected crap)...what am i missing?

As you give more throttle that arm retards the timing, try retarding your timing some and see what it sounds like then

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Timing without a meter is just not a good way to time these motors. The marks are just a starting point at best. Retard it some and test run it till you find what you like but... Having it timed with a meter is the best way of doing this... Finding someone that can do it and prove they did it is the hard part....

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what got me looking at the arm was that I couldnt retard it any further and the rattle and smoke would put a cummins to shame...at first I was thinking I was a full tooth off, but then for ***** and giggles I stuffed a piece of vacuum line behind the arm (where the throtle piece would hit it) and drove around the block...ran perfect.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
what got me looking at the arm was that I couldnt retard it any further and the rattle and smoke would put a cummins to shame...at first I was thinking I was a full tooth off, but then for ***** and giggles I stuffed a piece of vacuum line behind the arm (where the throtle piece would hit it) and drove around the block...ran perfect.

Then the timing is absolutely too advanced

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could I be a full tooth off, and if so how do I fix it?

with the arm sitting in its normal position it without a doubt is acting too advanced regardless of how far a retard it (towards the drivers side)

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
could I be a full tooth off, and if so how do I fix it?

with the arm sitting in its normal position it without a doubt is acting too advanced regardless of how far a retard it (towards the drivers side)

Did you pull the gear cover? and it sounds like how my pump use to when i was messing with screws inside the pump that i shouldnt have, after i turned them back to were they was it fixed it, maybe the rebuilder sucks:dunno

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pump came from MWFI...dad gave me a gift certificate, and I dont have a ton of faith in them....to install I pulled the 3 bolts for timing, and the ones inside the oil fill neck...didnt pull the cover off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online